What's new

Soundstage- How To Expand (1 Viewer)

JerryCro

Auditioning
Hi guys! First time poster, long time lurker here. I was wondering how I could even out my soundfield better. I have calibrated with S&V and even measured the distance between speakers,and still no smooth pans. It worked before I changed the room around,but not now. God bless you guys,and thanks for all the help over the past few months...love this forum. BTW: checked phase and its fine.

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member
Are the main L/R speakers too close or too far apart? Did you turn them inwards slightly? Try it and see if it helps.

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
What did you change, and what is it that you're lacking, and are you talking 2-channel or 5.1?

JerryCro

Auditioning
I have a 5.1 bookshelf system. Sony BHC MX6 with a Sony SA-WM50 subwoofer with the F/R about 3 ft. from the center channel. They are all at ear level, and F/r are slightly tilted inwards.

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
Ok, but what was it that changed, you say that your soundstage is uneven, and that it worked before you moved stuff in your room around? What exactly is lacking or different when you watch movies, and what did you move around in your room? How are your speakers placed? ARe they inside a shelf or something?

Speaker placement is key, as well as calibration. It's also possible that there is an incorrect setting somewhere like a DSP mode that is messing things up that should not be on. More info would be helpful!

JerryCro

Auditioning
When the wife rearranged,she moved the couch from 6 ft. to about 13 ft. from the fronts. Also the speakers are on stands even with my screen. Sometimes I use the Bass Boost on my reciever ,but I keep it at flat and all speakers on small, Sub on 3/4 volume with gain level turned all the way up. I calibrated like always with all speakers at 75db all the way around. It just isn't as seamless as it should be like there are gaps in the sound.

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
Well, moving so far away from the screen will make everything in the front smaller, and then the angles that have to be covered to where your surrounds are (I assume you moved them back with the listening position? Again, not so much info...) will leave a big hole there that is going to be difficult to image. You could try moving your mains farther apart to expand the front, that could help quite abit, even if it means not matching the sound to the screen.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Hello Jerry,

Are those gaps you noticed between the L & R or between the fronts and the surrounds? Or between the surrounds, but that's not unusual on some tracks.

From what you describe here, I'd say: excellent positioning. So now we need to find out what went wrong.

Cees

JerryCro

Auditioning
Thanks for the advice, guys. Moving the speakers a little farther into the room did the trick. It sounds much better, but you know how it is...there's always room for improvement. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks