sounds of nature CD, forest, etc...

Discussion in 'Music' started by chris winters, Jan 7, 2004.

1. chris winters

chris winters Second Unit

I'm looking for a very high quality nature audio CD, preferably in somekind of surround, 5.1 format. somthing where you pop it in and you close your eyes and totally feel like your in the environment. Any suggestions? No music, just nature-atmosphere recordings.

2. Jeffrey Noel

Jeffrey Noel Screenwriter

Chris, if you ever find any from another source, please post it here, as I would love a 5.1 nature cd. I'd really like a thunderstorm in surround sound! [​IMG]

3. LanceJ

LanceJ Producer

Unfortunately there is music on this one, but Chip Davis (from Mannheim Steamroller) put out a nature/music combo dvd-audio that I used to own: Ambience Summer Song DVD + Free CD.

I had it before I owned a dvd-audio player so could only listen to the 5.1 Dolby/DTS tracks but despite this, when the section that contained the rain and thunderstorm parts came on, it was startingly real. This is a totally immersive recording--as such a recording should be IMO--and when the thunder rolled overhead, it literally rolled overhead, from front to back. Woweee that was fun! The bass from it ought to keep your subwoofer working hard too. And the quieter rain-only parts were so real it was kind of spooky.

IIRC, Mark Waldrep of AIX Records said here on the forum he helped make this recording at Chip Davis' farm. The disc contained Dolby, DTS and a 96/24 hi-res mix.

What made me give it away? I own four of Laserlight's nature CDs and these particular ones just use some distant sounding synthesizers (Thunderstorm At Night uses a soft electric guitar playing random notes--neat) to accent the natural sounds, which is O.K. But on that Ambience disc, there are pure nature sounds at first, then a little bit of Native American Indian music (the clarity of the maraca-like instrument made our dog run up to the speaker & twist her head back and forth), then the awesome rain & thunderstorm parts......and right when you are beginning to get relaxed, all of a sudden full-fledged music starts up, sounding sort of like instrumental soft rock. [​IMG] Major bummer. Totally blew my mood when listening to that disc. So I gave it to a young salesguy at an audio dealer who was interested in surround music (I kept the CD though--it's not THAT bad).

They make a bird song dvd-audio too--maybe that one doesn't have music on it?

I'll admit I wrote so much detail here as a hint to dvd-audio labels: you have at least one person (well, three actually) here for sure that would instantly jump on a surround recording of nature sounds if he could buy them. BUT without music of any kind!!! I've returned several of LaserLight's CDs because they contained overly-loud synths or lame & irritating "soothing" music. And, two CDs (from companies I can't remember now) because while they had no music, they used electronic FAKE natural sounds mixed with a few real ones, and one had a loop of forest sounds that repeated every 7 minutes--how cheap can you get?!

I can't imagine these being very expensive to make: a laptop, a big hardrive, five decent mics. Pick the right day, pack a lunch, push record, eat lunch (no potato chips or pork rinds!), push stop, & go do a little disc authoring. Then us jittery city people can veg out and let the stress melt away. Ahhhhh................

LJ

4. Danny Tse

Danny Tse Producer

I believe this is the only hybrid multi-channel SACD that features environmental recordings....but only 2 tracks.

[​IMG]

Earth Show

And this is the only website selling it.

5. Jonathan Dagmar

Jonathan Dagmar Supporting Actor

This is something that has sparked an interest for me. I would sedonc the request, but also be happy to know of any old fashioned 2 channel recordings as well. Pro Logic 2 can work wonders.

6. PhilBoy

PhilBoy Second Unit

I'm in for a copy... when and if.

Gotta have dts, though.

7. Joseph J.D

Joseph J.D Cinematographer

How about Dan Gibson's Solitudes CDs? Those are very good recordings. I only know of the regular CDs....have no idea if they do 5.1 recordings though.

8. Jeffrey Noel

Jeffrey Noel Screenwriter

I actually have about 6 or 7 of the Solitudes CDs and a couple from Laserlight. They're all pretty good, but most of them do have music. Most of the thunderstorm cds I have, about 3, sound great but it would be so much better to hear them in 5.1 surround sound.

I'll have to get the one Lance mentioned. Thanks for the suggestion!

9. michael_mo

michael_mo Stunt Coordinator

I second the Dan Gibson Solitudes. I only have one, "The Classics".
    http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p...=Aavu1z8ba8yv1

I can honestly say this is the most relaxing music/sounds CD i own (and I own a LOT of new age and orchestral music.)

This disc has very soft orchestral music intermixed with nature sounds. I dont think there is a high rez mix available. But, this CD gets my thumbs up big time
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

10. LanceJ

LanceJ Producer

BTW: when I bought that "Summer Song" dvd-audio last year it came in one of those double-sized dvd cases, so it might be still stocked in the dvd movie section.

LJ