What's new

Sounds Like Panny RP-91 Isn't Going Anywhere (1 Viewer)

Scott-C

Supporting Actor
According to this CES 2002 link, the RP-91 will still be made available in 2002, which contradicts some of the rumors that it will be discontinued.
From the very brief write-up on this page, I didn't detect any new Panasonic model that would compete with the RP-91, either. It still is apparently the only Panny model that will use the Genesis chipset for deinterlacing so it can scale non-anamorphic material.
Just wanted to share this for anyone considering the RP-91 vs. waiting to see if Panasonic plans to replace it.

greg_t

Screenwriter
I just got my rp91 two days ago and I love it. I ordered it from Onecall. I sent an email off to Panasonics customer service. The following is the response I recieved:

Dear Panasonic Customer,

Thank you for your inquiry. The DVD-RP91 is a 2001 product which is

currently on the market. We have no record of the DVD player being

discontinued.

For further assistance, please contact the Panasonic Customer Call Center at

(800) 211-7262. Any representative will be available to assist you Monday

through Friday from 9 AM to 9 PM, and Weekends 9 AM to 7 PM Eastern Standard

Time.

So it doesn't seem as if it's going away soon. Also, mine was manufactured in Oct. 2001 and has the 236 firmware. So thoses who order now should all get players with the current firmware.

Greg

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Why should the 'RP91 be discontinued in the immediate future? It isn't an old model by any means. It is well under a year old. Also, what would Matsushita, the parent company of Panasonic, replace it with? Probably another progressive-scan DVD-Audio player. The 'RP91 is an excellent unit in terms of picture quality, sound quality, build quality, features, etc., so it would seem premature to replace it with more of the same. Also, I don't see Matsushita jumping into the SACD game and releasing a "universal" player. So with the 'RP91, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. What Matsushita should be thinking about is releasing a lesser expensive version of the 'RP91 like the 'RP61 we were supposed to get. They should also give us progressive-scan DVD-Audio changers (carousels and megachagers) to compete Denon and Kenwood, which would hopefully bring the prices of such components down.

PatrickM

Screenwriter
What Matsushita should be thinking about is releasing a lesser expensive version of the 'RP91 like the 'RP61 we were supposed to get.
Keith, I think they have. Check this link here to see a picture of the RP82 which uses the Faroudja chip for de-interlacing and has DVD-A at an MSRP of $279. Not sure if it has the scaling function though. Probably doesn't since its not using the Genesis chip.
Patrick

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Patrick, thanks for the info. The 'RP82 is very sleek. I like it. However, I'm not too keen on the weird looking jog wheel, which looks like the same one Panasonic is using on the DMR-E20 DVD recorder.

PatrickM

Screenwriter
Mark, I believe South Van TV carries it as well as A&B but I'm not entirely sure about A&B. I know I've seen the RP56 there but I can't remember about the 91.
I bought mine online at Link Removed back in Ontario.
Patrick

Mark Rich

Second Unit
Patrick or others

How does the RP-91 perform with non progressive Monitors?

Looking to purchse it for current system with the idea of upgrading the monitor later in the year.

Also audio performance as a CD player ?

PatrickM

Screenwriter
Mark,

I am also using it on a non-progressive RPTV (older Pioneer 46" CinemaWide) and it looks good. I'm planning on updating to a HDTV as well soon.

As for CD quality, its okay but I use the DAC's on my 5800 for CD's.

Patrick

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks