What's new

Sounds insane but what other brand sounds like Rotel? (1 Viewer)

Joe

Stunt Coordinator
Here is the situation:

I love the sound of my current 2 channel system which consists of a Rotel RB1080 amp, a Rotel RC970 preamp, & Paradigm Studio 60s. I am pleased with this type of sound although I'm not sure if you would call it warm, bright,etc.

Anyhow, I want a HT system that has this same type of sound. (Of course buying some Rotel HT equipment should continue to give me that same type of sound, but I have issues with their 1055 AVR and 1066 pre/pro so they are not being considered now.)

My question is, what other AVRs have the same sound characteristics of Rotel? HK, Marantz, Denon, other, ????

Thanks.

Gianni

Agent
Joe,

Can you share those issues? This might help those interested in offering suggestions.

Joe

Stunt Coordinator
Gianni - the Rotel issues are the bass management (all units), popping sounds (some), hiss in speakers (some), and the inconsistancy in quality control. Plus I demoed the 1055 and it just did not seem that great of a deal for $1200. Thanks.

Yogi

Screenwriter
I would second B&K for an even better sound (with the right speakers of course).

Tom Lee

Agent
Joe: That Bass management issue is being addressed, The Popping sound I've never heard, and no hiss from my unit. Plus the new 1066 and 1055's both have 200mhz video switching. Anyhow, I love my Rotel setup... and would recommend it to everyone.

Joe

Stunt Coordinator
Tom - I have been waiting for the BM issue to be addressed for quite some time now. We don't even know if they can fix it for the units currently out there. Since this time of the year is the best for sales, I would think Rotel would want to take advantage of it.

I am encouraged to hear you like yours though. Which do you have?

Guy Usher

Supporting Actor
I have a similar music setup only using a 981 rotel, the sound you couldnt describe. . .I call it "Right"
When you start talking (for lack of a better word) high grade equipment and the sound it produces is "right" I dont think there is a lot of differences, maybe very subtle but not enough to stop me from enjoying it.
I agree with you on HT sound there is no reason it should not be "right" as well. I have said before, distortion is distortion wether it is a piano note or a laser gun. IMO especially bass (HT) there is a lot of information in an explosion that too many subs destroy, I want to hear all of it.
I use a Marantz AV9000 because of its sound quality (I know it is only 5.1 but it does it "right") for amps I use Rotels 985THXMk2 but I have to say the 981 is a noticably better sounding amp. I am currently looking for two more 981s and when I get them I will sell the 985THX 5 channel amp.Speakers are NHT Super Ones, gives a clean, clear, detailed, fast sound to HT that I prefer. Paridigms have the same qualitys as well. I also like the speed and tightness of older Adcoms (555), I think their high damping gives good control of the drivers. I have noticed many of the amps I like have a high damping factor.

Tom Lee

Agent
Joe: I have the RSP-1066 with a RB-1080 and RMB-1075. I enjoy my setup and would recommend it to all. I don't have any issues with my unit. Even though I do get a LFE channel when playing music (I have full towers on all channels) I don't mind it.

JohnSC

Stunt Coordinator
Joe: I have the RSP-1066 with a RB-1080 and RMB-1075. I enjoy my setup and would recommend it to all. I don't have any issues with my unit. Even though I do get a LFE channel when playing music (I have full towers on all channels) I don't mind it.
I agree with Tom Lee, my setup is almost identical.

BrentPollard

Second Unit
I have the 1066 with a RB-985 Mk I. Count me as another who is not concerned with the "double bass" issue. I am sure many of us remember having to get up to change the volume or inputs or whatever manually. If the bass is too much, turn off the sub. I have heard no hiss from my unit. As far as the popping goes, I do get popping when navigating the menu, but it is very slight and if my volume is down around the 60 or lower mark I hear nothing. I would suggest you audition a unit specifically listening for the pop, you probably will find that it won't be there.:frowning:

DanaA

Screenwriter
I don't hear any popping either and I've only had an issue with double bass one time on one recording and I'm not even sure if it wasn't the recording that time. I will mention that Rotel has been fricken fantastic when it comes to trying to accomodate us users. In this month's review of the unit by Stereophile Guide to Home Theater, Rotel, in the Manufacturer's Comments section, refers to an online survey to determine what changes users would suggest they make in order to have a better product. That has to be the survey Andrew ran over at HTGuide.com. They seem to be following through and trying to make changes. Thus far, ALL firmware changes have been at virtually no cost to the consumer (other than putting together or buying a patch cable to download firmware upgrades and the change to allow for an increase from 10 - 200 MHz component-video bandwidth, which I hear they will be offering for $100). Search the threads and you will find complaints regarding other companies who advertised upgradability, but, in the end, let the consumer down or charged too much. All in all, I've become a big fan of this company and that means they'll be high up there on my consideration list whenever I decide to upgrade my system. Stereophile Guide to Home Theater awarded them a 2003 Editor's Choice Gold Award and I do too.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks