Soundproofing under carpet

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by MarkSchro, Mar 20, 2006.

1. MarkSchro

MarkSchro Stunt Coordinator

I was looking at minor soundproofing for my new room that is upstairs. I found this site soundproofing.org that has a vinyl pad that you lay down on top of the sub floor. Then the carpet pad and carpet go on top. Does anything this is a waste or would this help. It' about $650.00 for the materials vinyl pad,tape and acoustic calk.
    Thanks,
    Mark

2. chris_everett

chris_everett Second Unit

It will help _some_. It will help more at high frequencies than low. Isolating a second floor room from the floor below is one of the most difficult soundproofing tasks to accomplish. Can you give more information on your situation, and what you are trying to accomplish?

3. MarkSchro

MarkSchro Stunt Coordinator

I have a small home theater downstairs connected but not directly underneath this new room. This room used to be open to upstairs so listening at night had to be real low volume. So I wanted to limit the sound of downstairs going upstairs. Now that I closed off the living room with a second story. It is already much quieter upstairs. I am in the framing stage still and just have plywood down and no drywall yet. I am going to make another small home theater upstairs with this new room mainly for the kids. All the bedrooms to the house are upstairs. The living room used to be vaulted and open to the upstairs ceiling. I added a floor and now have about 200
    sq feet for this room. Any help is great.
    mark

4. Brian Osborne

Brian Osborne Stunt Coordinator

The problem won't be high frequency sounds. Your carpet will absorb most of that energy. The problem is, low frequency, and with your HT sitting on an upper floor, those sounds will be carried down just through the framing of the house. This is because your floor that will be receiving much of the low frequency sound from your sub has a load on it that is transferring that load down. Much of this is avoided when building these rooms in a basement because it is much easier to isolate these low frequency sounds. The load in a basement is supported by concrete foundation and there is no downward transmission through load bearing walls and floors.
    Best thing that you can probably do is place your sub on a rubber mat, and if it is a down-firing sub, replace it with a forward firing. Using a heavy blown in insulation between the floors may help, have the HVAC come directly from the furnace/AC room. Using existing HVAC ducting will transfer a large amount of sound directly into the adjoining room.
    I would maybe consult an expert before getting too much farther along, someone that works in HT installs might have some other insight into minimizing sound transmission from room to room.