Soundproofing supplies near Hamilton Ontario?

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Ray Stericker, Jan 2, 2004.

1. Ray Stericker

I am building a home theatre and want to reduce the amount of sound that travels through a wood 2x4 stud wall to the next room. I am looking for a source of supplies near Hamilton Ontario Canada. The wall is about 13 ft wide, by 8 ft high.

I know Home Depot has the "safe and sound" rock wool to put in the bays. I used that before for the bedrooms upstairs, and will use it again for the theatre.

Home Depot also has "resilient channel" that is used to mount a second layer of drywall so it doesn't transfer as much sound to the structure. I am trying to avoid this, because it will increase the thickness of the wall significantly. I am also a little unsure about how you trim out a wall like this (baseboard, outlets, ceiling joint tape etc.) without destroying the resilience you create.

I was considering Mass Loaded Vinyl (MLV) but can't find a local source. I don't want to pay to ship that stuff if I can avoid it. Does anyone know of a source in my area? It sounds simple to install.

Any other suggestions for soundproofing that are cheap and simple?

Thanks for the help,

Ray

2. Derek_P

Derek_P Stunt Coordinator