What's new

Soundproofing Question (1 Viewer)

Greg Foan

Stunt Coordinator
Hello,
I've decided to double drywall the walls and ceiling of my recroom/HT with a 1 inch airspace between layers as advised by the many geniuses on this site. My question is this: The South wall is a HCB wall that has been framed, insulated and drywalled already.It seperates the HT from the storage room. Is there any advantage to adding the 2nd layer to this wall? Also, the West wall is the a HCB perimeter wall that has been framed / insulated / drywalled as well. Does it make sense to add the 2nd layer to this wall? The other 2 walls have rooms adjacent to them and the ceiling is right under the livingroom so doing them them only makes sense. Thanks in advance for your help.
Greg

Greg Foan

Stunt Coordinator
John,
Looks like interesting stuff.......but out of my league by the look of their estimator software. I'd be looking at nearly $11,000 based on a 16.5 X 17.33 room.

Greg Foan

Stunt Coordinator
Anyone else care to offer an opinion re: my original question? I'd appreciate any input offered.
Thanks,

RAF

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Greg,
According to the people at tubetrap.com (who just e-mailed me) the calculated amount would be closer to $2,200 and NOT the higher figure you quoted.
Please e-mail me (not private message, please!) if you want the e-mail address of the individual who told me this.

Scott-C

Supporting Actor
I've decided to double drywall the walls and ceiling of my recroom/HT with a 1 inch airspace between layers as advised by the many geniuses on this site
Anyone have any good instructional links on how to do this?

Thanks!

Chad Anson

Second Unit
The term "double drywall" is a bit misleading. For sound isolation, you essentially want to build a room within the existing room where the structure of the "inner" room is sonically decoupled from the rest of the structure. Ideally, you would frame the inner walls with a 1" gap from the "outer" wall, and would do the same thing with the ceiling (sometimes referred to as a "floating ceiling"). Decoupling the wall from the floor is a bit trickier, but they sell u-shaped rubberized channels that do the job. Some folks will lay down some acoustical caulk before attaching the baseplate, others just don't worry about it. See http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...oating+drywall for a more detailed description.
Now back to Greg's question. . . there may be two reasons for doing the south and west walls. (1) if all four walls aren't treated sound could potentially leak upwards around the floating ceiling (through the storage room or in the west wall); and (2) I've always read that the inner walls/ceiling should be constructed with two layers of drywall attached to the studs (e.g., a 1/2" sheet and a 5/8" sheet, ) using screws and glue and using acoustical caulk on all seams/electrical boxes, etc. It would seem to me that if only two of your four walls were created this way, the room may sound a bit off... particularly since the side walls would likely reflect sound differently.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks