What's new

Soundproofing - - how to? (1 Viewer)

Brian Harnish

Screenwriter
I've already done a search and nothing came up.

How do I soundproof my room? What am I looking at spending? I want to isolate (or at least minimize) a lot of the sound coming from my HT when it's cranked (I'm at -45 dB and still get complaints from Mom about the sound). I want to be able to crank up the HT to that level and above at 12:30 a.m. without bothering anyone else.

Also, I'm interested in learning how to add acoustic treatments to the room to improve the sound quality. If anyone can point me to some DIY soundproofing and acoustic treatment web sites I'd really appreciate it!

Chris Carswell

Supporting Actor
Best advice would be to get your own house :)
I have seen some expensive jobs in that department so it probably wouldn't be worth it. Only tip I have would be to move the sub away from the corners and then check the levels in the other room. Play with it a bit so you come up with a good compromise. If that doesn't work looks like you will be watching movies at -55 db.
-Chris

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
This topic would be better suited in the HT Construction and Interiors section I would think.

Unless you are willing to strip the room and refinish with the appropriate materials and techniques I don't think it's possible to soundproof a room to the point where it won't annoy others in the house when played at 10dB below reference level or higher.

Refinishing the room to make it soundproof would definately not be cheap either.

ChrisBoyde

Auditioning
I have a similar problem I can't listen to my system very loud or I piss everyone off that is watching tv in the living room as my HT room is right below it. Now my room has drywall on the walls (no plaster yet) but nothing has been done with the celing so I could put whatever insullation up there I wanted. Is there any thing I can put in the celing to help reduce the amount of noise that travels upstairs?

Ron D Core

Stunt Coordinator
Maybe line the room with MDF and eggcrate. Thats all I could think of and that would be pretty damn expensive too. They sell expanding spray foam you could put between the studs, might help.

Ted Kim

Stunt Coordinator
Goto the following site for more info
www.auralex.com
edit: go especially to the auralexuniversity section and acoustics101 section. They are highly educational even if you aren't interested in their prodcuts.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks