SoundKing 10ga vs IXOS 13GA gamma

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by JohnMW, Jan 24, 2003.

1. JohnMW

JohnMW Second Unit

I want some good/decent quality wire for my Klipsch Ref. 3 v2's.

LF is roughly 10 ft. from my receiver
    Center is 5 ft.
    RF is 3 ft

Of course I will need to add a few feet for slack. I have done a search for "wire" and come across some interesting threads, but I thought I would ask for opinions anyhow. I doubt I could hear the difference, but I am going to biwire.

* The SoundKing 10ga. from Parts Express is only 70.00 for 100 ft, and the IXOS is roughly 1.50 per ft.

2. Rothwell

Rothwell Auditioning

I recently ran into the same issue. I'm planning on biwiring my "new to me" B&W Matrix 805s using 4 conductor wire from Parts Express (Part no. 100-768 14 GA 4 CONDUCTOR HQ IN-WALL wire), which should give me functionally an 11 GA connection, without having to use 2 runs of 2 conductor wire to each sperker. Paying about $30 for 100 ft, I believe it will do fine, at a reasonable cost after I add the terminations. Given your short runs, an 11 GA connection ought to be adequate, vs. the 10 GA you are considering.

3. JohnMW

JohnMW Second Unit

If you tie (2) of the 14ga wires together for an effective ~11ga, and you bi-wire your speakers, you will need (2) runs of cable.

Otherwise you would have to use 1 wire per connection on the speaker.

Also, is it true that speaker wire is not susceptible to emi/rfi signals so there is no need for "shielding"?