"Sounder" (1972) OAR on DVD--when?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Scott David, Feb 18, 2004.

1. Scott David

Scott David Stunt Coordinator

I watched the'72 version of "Sounder" on Turner Classic Movies last night, and major kudos to TCM for finally showing it in its original 2.35:1 aspect ratio. Does anyone know if a widescreen DVD is in the works?

2. Rob P S

Rob P S Screenwriter

rob
    A great movie. The pan-and-scam version is unwatchable.

3. Dick

Dick Producer
    Supporter

Rick
    I was lucky enough to copy the TCM broadcast to DVD, but of course a commercial release would be preferable. This is so-o-o superior to the Disney remake! Amazing movie, and to long neglected.

4. Gordon McMurphy

Gordon McMurphy Producer

This should definately be released again in OAR.

While we're on Martin Ritt films on DVD, it sure would be great to see The Great White Hope on DVD from Fox. I've also never see this in it's 2.35:1 ratio.

At least we have a great transfer of Hud available.

5. Scott David

Scott David Stunt Coordinator

I'm with you, Gordon. Ritt made many films that made wonderful use of every inch of their Panavision frame, making for panned-and-scammed video releases, like "Sounder", so horrible they would make the staunchest MAR advocate cry "uncle".

Who owns the video rights to "Sounder"? The opening logo on the TCM telecast was from 20th Century Fox, but the last few video releases (including a recent cheapo P&S version) have been from Paramount.