soundcard help

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by hwshi, Jan 24, 2003.

1. hwshi

hwshi Stunt Coordinator

hi all,
    just got a pc built with a friend of mine(i am a former mac user),was in over my head with all the specs and stuff.anyways being fairly flustered over all the options i bought a sb live card under the presumption of it having digital out(not realizing it wasn't optical out).
    so now i want to get my mp3s onto my minidisc preferably digitally, which means optical.well damn if i can find the add on bracket here in canada! i am leaving for a trip in 2 weeks so my question to you is:
    1-anyone have a canadian source for this piece?
    2-anyone looking to sell one?
    3-if i bite the bullet and scrap the sb live card which would you recommend.mostly for music,little bit of games,no htpc yet(happy with my rp82)
    4-i have an msi 845pe max mobo, that supports a s bracket which includes spdif, would this be a viable option with decent results.again however i have yet to find a canadian distributer for this part!
    any help appreciated!

2. Gordon Moore

Gordon Moore Second Unit

Hwshi, YGM by the way I'm in Winnipeg

3. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
  4. hwshi

hwshi Stunt Coordinator

Gordon i sent your freind an e-mail.
    Nick i actually live quite close to that store and many more like it on that street.no luck yet.

5. Steve_Ch

Steve_Ch Supporting Actor

I have a coax to optical converter that I just retired. I used it to connect my Toshiba 2109 (coax digital out only) to a Sony audio decoder (Toslink optical in only). It's been flawless, it a matchbox size thing with an AC power adapter, I just looked and there's no brand name on it. I think I paid about $30 for it a few years back, brought online. If you are interested, I will sell it to you cheap, I have not look at prices at all so I don't know what these things cost now.

6. hwshi

hwshi Stunt Coordinator

steve YGM

7. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    Hehe, they got those 'computer streets' too in toronto? hehe.. I actually live like a 2 or 3 blocks away from one of them.. there must be more than a dozen computer stores in a 1 block radius haha