1. Visit this thread for your chance to win a selection of Lionsgate action films on UV!
    Dismiss Notice

soundcard help!!! 7.1? only getting a pcm signal

Discussion in 'Computers' started by VirPRO, Aug 8, 2004.

1. VirPRO

VirPRO Auditioning

hey, i just hooked up a new motherboard (asus k8v-se(deluxe))

the sound on my htpc sucks (some static too) now and the software is horrible
    my system is an onkyo ht-s770 except i replaced the sub with an apex amp and an idmax12 (car audio sub)

the signal is always PCM even though i'm using the optical & coax outs (maybe they're simply analog outs???)

when i had my abit nforce2 board the sound was amazing and the software (soundstorm) was great

i loved the equalizer and the volume controls for each speaker as well as the crossover for the sub

anyway, i need advice
    i think i should get a soundcard
    my system is 6.1, i figure i shound get a 7.1 soundcard considering i've never seen a 6.1 card before

the software needs to be good and have good controls and have DIGITAL optical or coax (or whatever else my receiver can input digatally-- spdif???) i put a link up to the ht-s770 on onkyo's site, but htf won't let me post links...

thanks!

2. WayneO

WayneO Supporting Actor

FYI: SPDIF(sony/phillips digital interface) is "digital coaxial".

I'd recommend the M-Audio Revolution 7.1 which is what I use with my HTPC, awesome sound. Since I'm not into using eq's and sound fields, etc., I'm not sure what features the software has with it, I could check later if really needed to know.

3. VirPRO

VirPRO Auditioning

thanks, if u could check on the software that would be great

anyone else?

4. VirPRO

VirPRO Auditioning

someone help!
    i've been hearing good things about Chaintech AV-710 and the E-MU 0404 and 1212...

any ideas guys?

5. Scott L

Scott L Producer

For purely digital out go with the cheap Envy-24HTS Chaintech, it should be all you need. For analog AND digital out go with a Revolution or Audiotrak Prodigy.

Can I ask why did you go from nForce2 to VIA??? Doesn't nForce3 have the same neat onboard audio?

6. JohanD

JohanD Stunt Coordinator

I have a chaintech and it works great for DVD's using the optical output.