Soundblaster and DVD player

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by David.Wein, Dec 27, 2002.

1. David.Wein

David.Wein Auditioning

Newbie here...

Got a new Samsung DVD-2000 and the LOTR extended version. Am playing dvd into older RCA tv with RCA jacks - but not much else. Wanted to get to 5.1 sound. I have a rather small room and wanted to avoid purchasing a receiver - I hoped I could just attach speakers somehow. Was led to believe by a salesman that I could use the Creative 5.1 soundblaster speakers with adapters from Radio Shack.

I did get adapters that take the stereo sound card plugs to two RCA plug ends. But I see no way to attach them to the DVD. There are audio outputs, of course, but they sure don't seem to expect 6 (or 5?) RCA plugs - but are designed to connect to a receiver.

So should I take the speakers back - and live with my tinny stereo on the TV until I get the financial fortitude to buy a receiver and speakers. Is there no way to use these computer speakers with a DVD player?

2. Nick A. G.

Nick A. G. Auditioning

The 5.1 capabilities on newer sound cards are intended to be used with DVD-ROM drives. The 5.1 Sound Blaster cards are only equipped with outputs for 5.1 (no inputs).

Those outputs are actually designed for "5.1-ready" PC speaker systems. They actually have the jacks in the back of them for front, rear, and center/sub. Using that standalone DVD player of yours won't help any. I would stick with simply using the DVD-ROM. You can pick up a 5.1-ready PC speaker system starting at around $200 or so. On the other hand, you can save for a bit longer and get a receiver and speakers which would be the best long-run decision (better quality and far more flexibility).

Even if you tried to output the audio signals from the sound card to standard speakers, you'd run into two problems: 1) you still need an amplifier because regular speakers are not self-amplified; and 2) there is no possible way (that I know of) to properly separate the center/sub signals coming out the card (they share ONE output).

3. David.Wein

David.Wein Auditioning

Help me to clarify my options. I have a Samsung DVD-2000 that didn't come with speakers -- so apparently there is no amplifier in the DVD player. In my manual, under DVD sound setup there is one item--A/V Receiver Connections that include optical and coaxial digital outputs.

1. Does this mean the only option I have for surround sound is to buy a receiver and speakers? What are the least expensive price ranges of this option?
    2. I have seen powered speakers described that connect to both computers and to DVD players. Do they connect to optical or coaxial outputs on the player?
    3. Is there some kind of "straight through" amplifier that would mediate between the DVD player and a set of unpowered speakers?

4. TimTurtino

TimTurtino Stunt Coordinator

1. No. Somewhere in the $150-$250 range.
    2. These do exist-- e.g., Onkyo (among others) makes something that is a 5.1 (powered) speaker set and takes digital inputs
    3. Yes. It's called a receiver. [​IMG]
    Me