What's new

Soundbars with wireless Subs? (1 Viewer)

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Hey gang,

I'm looking for a relatively inexpensive soundbar system to use with the bedroom TV and outdoors with my projector. Question: Most units seem to come with wireless subs. Do they work well, or do they tend to suffer from interference or other issues?

Would an all-in-one unit like the Sony HTXT1 or Onkyo LST-10 be a better option, or are inexpensive wireless subs generally fine?

ArmSC

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tony
Most folks around here will not recommend the use of a soundbar for anything...I think for a bedroom or even a small apt they are fine. However, one of my "rules" for soundbars is to stay away from wireless subs. Why? Because they tend to just not work as well as a wired unit. The ones that I've dealt with in the past do suffer from interference, connection, and SQ issues. Now some of the newer units may be better but I still shy away from them. I don't think that it's that hard to hide or work with most of the "subs" that come with a soundbar. I normally tuck them behind the TV to get them out of sight and this tends to work very well. I would especially like a wired unit for moving it from location to location as all you need is one small wire to plug in as opposed to making sure it pairs and gets a good connection.

Would an all-in-one unit like the Sony HTXT1 or Onkyo LST-10 be a better option, or are inexpensive wireless subs generally fine?

This depends on what you're looking for. These pedestal systems are very easy to setup and normally are a huge improvement over the TV speakers. Will they work for an outdoor application...I don't know. They tend to have smaller "sub" drivers in them that do fine a house but may not do so well outdoors. I would take them over a wireless sub because they are less complex and easier to setup. Of course the best option would be to get a soundbar for the bedroom and then a set of powered speakers for the outdoors...just my thoughts.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
For outdoor, I'd buy a Sony Portable Sound System(might have Party in it).

I heard one at a Sony store. If I had more than a passing use...I'd have one.

(Called the...

Portable Party System

$350 at the online Sony store. I think was $299 at an outlet)

ArmSC

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tony
I think you're talking about this unit Sam, the Sony RDHGTK37IP. Currently $300 at Amazon...I've heard this guy at the local BB and it does rock. I was impressed with it...I don't know why I didn't think about this for the outdoor theater.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
That Sony unit looks cool, but it doesn't have optical or HDMI input, so it wouldn't work for me (and I probably won't spend that much anyway). It only has Bluetooth and USB.

My main interest in wireless subs is simply the fact that most new soundbars with separate subs seem to be wireless! At least the ones I see in stores, anyway. Just curious whether I should avoid them.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
ArmSC said:
Of course the best option would be to get a soundbar for the bedroom and then a set of powered speakers for the outdoors...just my thoughts.

I actually have a pair of powered speakers that work great outside, but they only have a 1/8" plug (and I have an RCA adapter). The BD deck I want to use outside only has HDMI and optical output.

A soundbar for the bedroom is a low priority. . .I just figure I can maybe kill two birds with one stone here. :)

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
BACKTRACK! I was mistaken. . .my BD deck has a *coax* digital output, not optical. :blush:

There's a Sharp that goes for under $200 that sounds like it has good volume (and has HDMI pass-thru). . .that's not normally a brand on my list, but I wonder if it might be worth considering for outdoor use.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Not many, as far as I can see. Almost all have optical, but coax seems to be a relatively rare bird.

Now I think I might just go for a HTiB so I don't have to mess with unhooking the bedroom BD deck every time I want to set up outside. They don't seem much more expensive than a soundbar + sub anyway.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Trigger pulled -- Best Buy's deal of the day yesterday was a Panasonic 3.1 bar with wireless sub for peanuts (regular $300; sale price $150 and I ordered an open-box item for about $125). It has HDMI in and out (plus optical in), which is a nice feature in that price range. Will post my opinion of it after giving it a try.

ArmSC

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tony
Stephanie L said:
I do not understand the technical issues, but a week ago I bought Sony RDHGTK37IP from amazon, and I am quite satisfied
o.png

That bad boy will put out some noise that's for sure. I'm glad that it's meeting your needs. It's a throwback to the old "Ghetto Blaster" boombox's that were out 20 or so years ago.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
A couple of days after I ordered the sound bar, BB's deal of the day was a Panny HTiB for the same price. But by then I'd pretty much decided that the sound bar would be best for my needs (bedroom + occasional outdoors).

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks