1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Soundbar vs Receiver/Speaker setup questions.

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by Jakerz, Feb 1, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Jakerz

Jakerz Auditioning

Jake Wiggins
    Ok guys, I'm trying to decide on a sound solution for my new place, its a 3 story townhouse with the living room and kitchen on the second floor, so I don't really have access to get wiring behind the walls. I plan on wall mounting a 65" Samsung QLED TV and use a low profile entertainment center below for all the peripherals/accessories. My question is: The room is not that deep, but it is very long, so I think I can get by with a sound bar like the Samsung N950 with a wireless sub and 2 wireless rear speakers. Spending $1500 on a nice soundbar is ok with me but is there a solution with a traditional receiver for a true 7.1 setup? I would need a wireless solution for the rear speakers and from what I've read on here, is not ideal and gets mixed results, anyone have any input on this?

Thanks!
    Jake

2. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Make sure you have a generous return policy with any soundbar that includes wireless components. Consumer wireless is notoriously blinky.

Yamaha (MusicCast) offers a few receivers that have wireless capability for the surrounds, as does Denon (HEOS). In both cases you’re stuck with the wireless speakers they offer, so tough luck if you don’t think they sound good.

A “true” 7.1 system requires a room that can accommodate speakers to the sides of the listening position, as well as behind it.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

3. Jakerz

Jakerz Auditioning

Jake Wiggins
    I've been looking at the Denon stuff, they have a wireless HEOS Amplifier I could use for the rears and use whatever speakers I want correct, or am I missing something?

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/denon-heos-amp-hs2sr-200w-2-1-ch-wireless-class-d-amplifier-black-and-gunmetal/4927501.p?skuId=4927501

Yeah, I was going to purchase a receiver with 7.1, I would have to install the side speakers on the ceiling angled downward to have 7.1 in this room and that would require ripping Sheetrock off the walls and ceiling lol, I think I would be ok with 2 fronts, center, 2 rears and a Sub.

Thanks!
    Jake

4. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Yes, that amplifier will allow you to use your own speakers, but the speakers are hardwired to it. However, it could theoretically be used with a Denon AVR for surround-sound duties, functioning as a remote amp that could be located at the back of the room. I’ll leave it to you to dig through all the Denon AVR manuals to find out if one or more of them will send the wireless surround-sound signal to it.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

5. Al.Anderson

Al.Anderson Cinematographer

Al
    The problem with soundbars, even good passive ones (which is the way you want to go if you take that route) is that they don't move much air and so don't have much on the bass/mid power. You can make up a lot of that on the low end with a sub, but not so much the mids. This isn't *that* big of a deal if you're not listening to music; but if you are, then I'd say definitely look at something else besides the soundbar.
    A passive soundbar will require a receiver BTW.
    Axiom has some decent wireless products: https://www.axiomaudio.com/wireless-speakers

I took a quick look at the Samsung N950 and I think that a lot of money for not much spec. The sub is not really a sub, it'll barely fill in the mids. Now I haven't listened to it, so I can't have a real opinion; but it doesn't dazzle on paper.
    I guess I'll go back to the beginning and say is $1500 you budget for receiver and speakers? And what are you're uses and goals (what's important to you: music, movies, sports, basic spatial effects, high-end sound - that kind of thing)?

6. Jakerz

Jakerz Auditioning

Jake Wiggins
    Thanks for the info, I don't mind the rear speakers being wired, I just don't have a way to get the wiring to the back of the room easily, so I was thinking a wireless amp and wired speakers would be better than just a pair of wireless speakers as it gives me way more options for speakers? Denon has a few different AVR's that they list as compatible with the HEOS speakers on their site.

$1500 was just the price for the soundbar, I'd be happy to spend a bit more if I needed to if it would yield better results with a receiver and speakers in a 5.1 or possibly 5.1.2 setup, It would mainly be used for movies and sports, but I would listen to music on it too, as the kitchen is in the same room basically. I'm kind of wondering if I'm over thinking the entire thing though, as it is a town-home and their are people on both sides of me, so I don't think a super loud system would be used very often at high volumes, lol.

Jake

7. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    The HEOS speakers are a whole ’nother thing. They are true wireless speakers, with all the benefits and potential problems they come with (you already know what those “problems” are). That’s what I was talking about in my first post.

As you have surmised, the best option is a remote amplifier that allows you to choose your own components. The easiest way to accomplish that is with an outboard transmitter / receiver system. More details on that here.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

8. Tbob

Tbob Auditioning

Tim heath
    I fixed this problem with corner molding and crown molding. Put the wires behind it.

Also 7.1 can use two front height channels, which requires only two rear speakers

9. Message #9 of 9 Feb 11, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2019
    man00

man00 Auditioning

Ron
    I was looking at soundbars at first, but just going by what I heard..I didn't hear a one that that I thought had very good sound. Just all of them are better than the speakers in TV. Best one far as sound goes to me was the Shockwafe 7.2
    But with some looking and luck you could find a receiver and speakers that would kill those soundbars...IMO. But this HT stuff is new to me, I'm coming from days of amps with bass and treble knobs,
    Hi Fi shops everywhere where the salesman smoke a pipe..Good Luck