Sound & Vision Watts Rating: Denon 5803, Integra 7.2, Yamaha Z1, Panasonic HE100

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Bill Will, Jun 13, 2002.

1. Bill Will

Bill Will Screenwriter

Denon AVR-5803 List $4,300
    5 Channels 138 watts
    7 Channels 118.2 watts
    Noise Level -75.3db
    Excess Noise +0.95db

Integra DTR-7.2 List $1,200
    5 Channels 54 watts
    6 Channels 38.75 watts
    Noise Level -75.3db
    Excess Noise +0.55db

Yamaha RX-Z1 List $2,799
    5 Channels 117 watts
    6 Channels 109 watts
    Noise Level -74.6db
    Excess Noise +2.75db

Panasonic SA-HE100 List $300
    5 Channels 78 watts
    6 Channels 70 watts
    Noise Level -75.0db
    Excess Noise +1.3db

For a budget receiver the Panasonic looks pretty good to me.
    From Sound & Vision:
    Panasonic:
    HIGH POINTS
    Impressive performance per dollar
    Unusually complete options for Dolby Pro Logic II
    Enhanced 6.1 channel playback from 5.1 channel recordings

LOW POINTS
    No On-Screen Displays
    Small, limited, poorly labeled remote
    Only one coaxial input

Hate to say it but for watts it looks like the Panasonic kicks the heck out of the Integra & the Onkyo 600 & 700.

2. Bill Adlhoch

Bill Adlhoch Stunt Coordinator

is the excess noise of the yamaha something to be concerned about?

3. NickSP

NickSP Supporting Actor

If noise was a factor then you could certainly rule the Yammie out IMO.

4. Bill Adlhoch

Bill Adlhoch Stunt Coordinator

I guess my question should read: what does that excess noise factor really mean int he real world?

i guess i dont under stand the spec completely

5. Bill Will

Bill Will Screenwriter

Just wanted to add that I wasn't comparing the Panasonic with the other receivers but it sure looks like it might be a good enrty level receiver for someone just getting into HT & it looks like on paper that it might give those entry level Kenwoods a run for the money & it might make a nice inexpensive receiver for the bedroom & etc.

6. John Kotches

John Kotches Cinematographer

Speculation mode on
    I would guess that excess noise is the difference between rated THD+N and delivered THD+N.
    speculation mode off
    Regards,

7. Bill Will

Bill Will Screenwriter

Just did a quick price check on the Panasonic & it can be had for $225 That's got to be the lowest priced 6 channel receiver out there isn't it? & it doesn't skimp on the Pro Logic II or Neo 6 settings either. Might even give the Pioneer 811 a run for it's money.

8. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    One thing not taken into account in your information is how the receiver SOUNDS. Great, it has all the features, but if it has lousy DACs and/or other processing, then it still isn't going to sound good. Let your ears make the decision, not the numbers.

9. derek

derek Second Unit

Does the Panasonic have preouts? That feature would make it quite the price/performance preamp champ!

10. Bill Will

Bill Will Screenwriter

No pre-outs. John I agree paper specs. are not the answer nothing beats listening to a receiver especially with your own speakers.

From S&V's Daniel Kumin article: "The results were outstanding. Even with the system set up for no subwoofer, my system rocked at surprisingly solid levels, sounding better than I'd would have guessed it could with a $300 receiver. That's impressive considering that the SA-HE100 was driving six full-range speakers, none of them particularly efficient."

Notes at the bottom of the Test Report:
    The panasonic SA-HE100 produced impressive numbers, especially for so inexpensive receiver, including very good real world noise levels and even good results on stereo tests with extended-dynamic-range, extended-bandwidth 96-KHz/24-bit signals. It generated a lot of power, including very solid output in our 6-channels-driven test and reasonably good reaction to 4-ohm loads. The forced-air cooling fan came on whenever more than a few watts was demanded for more than a moment, but it shouldn't be audible very often with a movie soundtrack or music playing. The receiver did shut down in response to extended clipping, but it recovered almost immediately with no ill effects.

I would never want it in my main HT but as a 2nd receiver or for the kids it might be a good choice in a basic receiver. But I would really have to hear it for myself before I ever bought it. Maybe someone who owns the 100 or has heard it can comment on it. I'd like to hear what owners have to say about it. Most of the Technics receiver's I've heard always seemed to be on the "BRIGHT"side.

11. Norman L

Norman L Second Unit

Onyko should wake up and smell the roses.

12. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John

13. Bill Will

Bill Will Screenwriter

Norman that's the only reason I really even bothered to post the Panasonic. If Panasonic can build an amp with 70 watts X 6 channels that you can buy for a little over $200 what the heck is going on at ONKYO? Bean Counters?

14. Danny Tse

Danny Tse Producer

I read an article several years back about the factory where they build Technics (now Panasonic) receivers. Apparently, the whole factory was run by robots....no human involvement. When a robot breaks down, another robot comes by and repairs the defective robot! No kidding! But the factory described was in Japan. The Panasonic receiver in question is made in Malaysia.

I am quite interested in the Panasonic receiver myself. However, Technics' SA-DA15K is available at J&R for $200.00. And this one have 100 watts/channel full bandwidth (OK, at 6 ohms) with .05% THD. Not sure which one to get yet.

15. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

John said:

16. Bill Will

Bill Will Screenwriter

Danny I would say the 15 has a much better amp section but it's only a 5 channel amp & it doesn't have Dolby Pro-Logic II or DTS Neo if that's important to you. But the 15 looks like it might have a better remote. I would check out the 100 at Best Buy or Circuit City first & see how it sounds to you, maybe even take it home & if you din't like it return it before the 30 day return ran out. That way you could also let us know what you thought of it. [​IMG]

17. Jerry Klawiter

Jerry Klawiter Screenwriter

I still have my older Denon AVR-5700 as a second setup.
    Since I use separates for my main system, I have not followed the receiver market for some time now.
    Have all receivers gone cheaper in the amp section?
    I only ask this as the Denon 5700 was rated 140 Watts by denon, and Sound & Vision lab test shows it to be rated as
    one channel driven. 172 W
    five channels driven. 125 W
    In The Lab Denon AVR-5700
    Not far below the current 5803 that denon rates as 170 per?
    Why such a large drop?
    Thank you denon for the 7.1 inputs on the 5700, SACD and DVD-A sound great with it[​IMG]

18. Ken Leggatt

Ken Leggatt Stunt Coordinator

The higher model Technics are great receivers. I had the SA-AX7 and it sounded awesome and had a lot of power. My Denon 3801 doesn't appear to sound much diferent either, just has way more optios and is more flexible

19. Robert_Gaither

Robert_Gaither Screenwriter

My opinion is pull out the spl meter and calibrate the system at 75 db and check if you can notice a hissing in any of the channels (most of your cheap Pioneers, Kenwoods, Sonys, Technics, JVC, etc have this common problem and you almost always will have to step up to their upper models or better yet other brands to get away from this ie Elite, Sovereign, ES, etc). Most cheap AVRs compromise on so many things I usually recommend people to buy a more striped down models of good manufacturers (Denon, Yamaha, Outlaw) instead. I may have to change my mind since lot of these new AVRs are coming out with such poor power supplies I think most of the speakers end up starving unless the AVR has pre-outs and outboard amps are used.

20. Chris Tsutsui

Chris Tsutsui Screenwriter

Well I'm going to have to get me one of those Panasonic puppies this week.

I'll see if I can get try it out for 30 days from one of my retail stores.