What's new

Sound & Vision Tune-Up dvd---who has it? (1 Viewer)

DaleI

Stunt Coordinator
Who has used the new "Sound & Vision Home Theater Tune-Up (2001)" dvd? How is it, and how does it compare to VE and AVIA in its actual use?

RandyRush

Stunt Coordinator
Well, I just received it in the mail on Tuesday, so I haven't gotten to testing it yet; when I do, I will post the results.

Matthew Anderson

Second Unit
Real Name
Matthew Anderson
I setup the audio with the test tones provided and I like the ease of use and results I got. I used the DTS tones and it worked well. I did not have as much success with the video calibrations so I put everything back like I had it.Things just didnt look right after I set it up according to the disc. The demo trailers are really nice and overall it is a good tool that is very easy to understand.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
here's my post copied from another thread

------------------------------------------

i played around with this dvd for about an hour or so yesterday. i only used the dolby digital tests as i don't have dts capability.

main feature

the main part of the dvd has to do with basic home theater concepts. i found the subjects (ht basics, setup, wiring, etc) pretty simplistic. i suspect most people here will already have a good understanding of this part. i must admit that i did not watch all the features in it's entirety. however, for a "newbie" i think it will provide a great summation of what ht is all about.

video calibration

this consisted of test patterns to help adjust the usual settings: color, brightness, hue, contrast, etc. i found most of the tests pretty useful, especially the brightness and contrast tests. i had some problems with the sharpness test, but i think that was more my fault than anything else. note that the dvd does come with a blue filter to help adjust color and hue. there's also a great test for moire effects. i was pleasantly surprised to see that my original settings, before doing the tests were pretty close. in a couple of cases, i could not get my tv to theoretical perfection, but i know that's more a limit of my gear than anything else. i found this section very useful

audio calibration

the usual stuff on this part. channel identification and phase checks. previously, i had calibrated using the internal test tones of my dvd (i'm using the 5.1 inputs on my older onkyo) but i found that i was off by quite a bit. i ran into some problems with the phase check part...i think it was supposed to do my mains, the left-center, but for some reason, at one point, it kept bouncing between the two tests. i didn't worry too much since i *know* my speakers are in phase. again, a very useful section.

extras

there's some nice demo stuff, including dts and thx trailers. there's also a quick featurette on how to use the radio-shack spl meter.

so, all in all, for 15 bucks i'm not complaining. i've never used avia or ve, so i don't really have anything to compare it to. i do wish some of the tests were more complex (i wonder if i could have tweaked it a little more with additional tests?), but at this price-point, it is a a worthwhile tool.

VicQ

Stunt Coordinator
I picked my copy up a few days ago. I haven't had a chance to check the video section, but I did balance my speakers with the dolby digital tests. I differed a decibel or two than my receiver's own test tones. The audio setup is pretty simplistic which is good. I also own video essentials, and comparing it just in the audio setup, I like S&V's disc as the test tones won't go to the next speaker until you select it. The trailers are nice as well. For $13 bucks, you can't ask for much more.

-Vic

MartyK

Agent
I picked it up at dvdplanet.com for $13.99. Received notification that it shipped today.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
there's several dolby digital trailers, including most of the ones i've seen in the theater. i think there's about 8 of them.

there's one dts demo, which i wasn't able to playback.

there's three versions of the same thx demo (the one where the planet melts into the logo). there's a 4x3, and two letterbox versions.

there's a couple of short featurettes...one on jack the ripper and i think one other. i'm guessing they're designed to demo black levels, etc.

Norman Short

Stunt Coordinator
I used Video Essentials when I first set up my system, but I rented it. Now I've moved the system into my new remodelled theater room and want to re-calibrate. I ordered Avia but it seems to be backordered. So I thought about using this disc instead since it's cheaper and available. Would I be better off just waiting for Avia though? It's a couple weeks wait, and I wanted to get some better objective measurements of my current sub before I go putting down money on an SVS PLus.

Norman Short

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks