1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Sound & Vision Mag

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Everett Painter, May 28, 2002.

1. Everett Painter

Just discovered this and wanted to get everyone's opinion on it before subscribing. I've gotten a couple of issues and it seems to cover a great deal. I love music as well and it hits this too. Thoughts? Any better, mutli-topic mags out there?

Everett

2. Andrew Chong

Andrew Chong Supporting Actor

This is one excellent mag. As you can plainly see from the couple issues you have, it covers a wide variety of topics from moderate to advanced. It's where I first learned about television service modes.

Luckily, my local library carries it, so that's where I read it (or borrow it).

3. chella

chella Stunt Coordinator

I like it better than "Guide to Home theater". I have seen subscription of S&V as low as $9 / year.

4. Jack Keck

Jack Keck Second Unit

I've been a subscriber off and on since 1975, and have enjoyed it. S & V takes some hits from more advanced hobbiests for not being as critical of the faults of products that they review as they could be, but if one is starting out, or even has a interest in moving beyond a boombox or shelf system for entertainment, I can't think of a better place to start, except, perhaps, some of these forums.

Look, for what they want for a subscription, you can't usually buy a DVD, let alone any piece of equipment, so I think it's worth it.

5. Robert Ma

Robert Ma Second Unit

Sound and Vision is okay. The cheap sub cost helps make up for their kiss but reviews of advertisers. To be honest, I usually do not find S & V to be very informative.

On the other hand, as stated above if you are new to the hobby there will be good articles in there for beginners.

My favorite is "Audio and Video Interiors". I love seeing the really done up theaters from people with unlimited budgets.

I use this forum more to find out about gear I can afford more then any magazine.

6. Bill_D

Bill_D Supporting Actor

I have a subscription and enjoy it as "summary reading"
    with quick facts. But, in my opionion it should not be
    your your mainstay for information. It needs to be
    supplemented with another subscription or heavy HTF
    involvement for the reasons Keck and Ma mentioned above.

7. Michael Lomker

Michael Lomker Stunt Coordinator

I recently subscribed mostly because of the magazine's format. The layout and photos of equipment are quite nice. I'd agree that the reviews are all glowing, but I subscribe to other mags for reviews.

8. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

for an overall picture of what's going on in the industry, it's an excellent magazine. they do a great job covering and explaining topics for the everyday joe.

i've never seen them give a negative review...not once. so i don't put much credence in that part. you have to read between the lines to get what they're trying to really say.

but...for the price, it can't be beat.

i also like sght - they typically review higher-end stuff that is still within most mortals reach.

avi doesn't do it for me anymore. i won't renew with them.