Sound & Vision Home Theater Tuneup and RPTV Convergence / Calibration

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by aldamon, Feb 22, 2003.

1. aldamon

aldamon Second Unit

Hi all,

This week, I'm upgrading my old 27" 4:3 to a JVC 48" RPTV. One thing I have read is that I'll need to tweak the convergence on the new set. I already have the inexpensive Sound and Vision Home Theater Tuneup DVD and it worked fine for the 27". Will the Sound and Vision Home Theater Tuneup be sufficient for tweaking RPTV convergence? Heck, overall, will I be able to conduct a decent calibration with this disc for a RPTV beyond convergence? I've read that AVIA comes with additional filters for the convergence test. This process for my TV is described in the following thread and seems to be pretty easy with AVIA:

Convergence / AVIA Thread at Home Theater Spot

Thanks!

2. Frank Zimkas

Frank Zimkas Supporting Actor

I've used to the same disc with my 55" Mitsubishi and have had really good results.

3. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    Moved to Tweaks.

4. Alan M

Alan M Second Unit

I also used the same disk on my 65 tosh.Did a nice job,left me with just a little tweaking to suit my own taste.

5. Guy Kuo

Guy Kuo Supporting Actor

I suspect you'll do a little bit better with the convergence grid in HTT than the ones in AVIA. The HTT focus pattern and convergence grid were "borrowed" from the new set being built for AVIA Pro. Those patterns are generated with single pixel wide details so it is finer than something being downconverted from a HDTV master. The lines are also tinted in color so that the red, green and blue contributions are visually closer in intensity. This allows you to align red to green and blue to green without needing to cut off the color not being aligned. As most "serious" tweakers tend to have AVIA, you probably haven't heard that some of the patterns in the later release Home Theater Tune-up are actually more advanced albeit fewer in number.