What's new

Sound & vision calibration dvd (1 Viewer)

Tam Nguyen

Grip
All,

Does anyone know at what db I must measure the spl when use the Sound & Vision DVD for speaker calibration? No where on the DVD that gives a definitive setting instruction except for the chapter "how to use the RS meter" that shows the setting at 70. Based on what set in this chapter, I calibrate the speaker to 75db. The subwoofer has a 5db hot.

Not sure that 75db is a designated level for this S&V DVD.

James Zos

Supporting Actor
In my opinion it doesn't matter so much as long as you get the volume set identically for each speaker at a level you are comfortable with.

Steve WC

Stunt Coordinator
Tam,

I agree with James. I set my receiver at what sounded like the level I liked than calibrated all speakers to match.

Steve

Tam Nguyen

Grip
Thank you all. 75db is the level I calibrate at. Well I just leave it at that. With this calibration level, my ref is at -10db, which is at sometime i measured the peak spl at 100:)

BruceD

Screenwriter
Since calibration levels are specifically coded on the DVDs to calibrate the playback level based on specific recording levels, one should always use the -75dB level for VE and the -85dB level for AVIA.

Since this DVD is a somewhat pared down version of the AVIA DVD, I would expect the 85dB calibration level to be the correct one, unless instructions say otherwise.

Our ears are not as sensitive to lower frequencies at lower volume levels (Fletcher-Munson curve). I'm not sure, but if you don't calibrate to the recommended dB level, you may not get bass levels represented properly during DVD playback.

aldamon

Second Unit
Does anyone know at what db I must measure the spl when use the Sound & Vision DVD for speaker calibration? No where on the DVD that gives a definitive setting instruction except for the chapter "how to use the RS meter" that shows the setting at 70. Based on what set in this chapter, I calibrate the speaker to 75db. The subwoofer has a 5db hot.
I was confused as well. The S&V disc says that as long as it's over 70 on all channels, you're OK. When I heard 70, I panicked and chose the more familiar number 75. Some people have suggested that we set the level to 85. So confused....
The subwoofer test also confused me because the needle jumped all over the place during the sub tone.
I just put Video Essentials in my Netflix queue just to be sure.....
Same confusion in this thread:
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...ighlight=S%26V

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation966
Recent bookmarks