Sound treatment ideas....

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by George Kouzev, Feb 5, 2003.

1. George Kouzev

George Kouzev Stunt Coordinator

I am looking for a place to by some reasonably priced acoustic treatment panels/materials, or perhaps a DIY approach. Any ideas? Is there a better section on this forum for such questions?

GK

2. Greg_R

Greg_R Screenwriter

Greg
    What kind of treatment do you need? JoAnn's Fabrics is currently having a sale on Polyfil (good for some DIY panels). You'll need to determine what is wrong with your room and then design the treatments for the room (it's not just a random slapping of panels up on the wall). Check out Everest's book: Master Handbook of Acoustics to get started...

3. Bob Hill

Bob Hill Stunt Coordinator

The polyfill that they sell at JoAnn's really isn't the best for acoustical treatments. It isn't as dense as the proper material. If you do a web search you should be able to find it. I sometimes get a batting material from a company here in Wisconsin called Active Foam. It is the right stuff and its cheap. Also, as Greg said, you'll want to figure out what exactly you want to correct in your room first. First reflections, taming bass nodes, reducing transmission to other rooms, etc.

4. Ronnie Ferrell

Ronnie Ferrell Second Unit

5. Andrus_R

Andrus_R Stunt Coordinator

Hey ronnie, how you enjoying your sealed tempest?

6. Ronnie Ferrell

I absolutely LOVE it! [​IMG]

This is my first home sub. I use to be into car audio back in the early days (1986) before it got so insane. Anyway I knew I would have to do a good bit of tweaking/room treatment/placement before it would shine. This would of had to been done no matter what sub I had decided on.

I cannot stress enough to everyone how important a $35 Rat Shack SPL meter and a setup DVD (I use Avia) and a test-tone CD are. If you don't have these, drop what your doing and go spend the $60!

Anyway, after figuring out that my system sounds best when using my receivers 60MHz x-over with the PE 250 plate amps x-over turned all the up to 160MHz. And after dialing in the system with the SPL meter and setup DVD, I could not be happier! It has plenty of everything for my taste! I can't imagine what a ported version of this thing sounds like. It would be WAY too much for me! I get the biggest kick out of demoing chapter 23 (I think its 23) of Pearl Harbor. It's the scene where the cook shoots down the Zero with the machine gun. My room just shacks, and the quickness of the sealed sub on this scene is phenomenal!

With music, this sub just shines! It took me a while to find the correct gain level, but when I did! WOW! Again the SPL meter and some test tones burnt to a CD are a must have!I am lucky to have a receiver that lets me set the speaker levels for each setting. For music listening, my subs gain is a lot lower than when listening to 5.1. But my receiver takes care of this for me! [​IMG]

Ronnie (one happy camper!)

7. PaulDF

PaulDF Second Unit

Doesn't Avia have sub tones on it? Is a separate cd with tones necessary? I just ordered Avia, and already have the 10-120 hz tones on disc, so it doesnt really matter, but I thought there were tones on Avia anyway...

8. Ronnie Ferrell

I would not have thought of this before hand either, but in my situation the test tone CD was needed along with the Avia DVD. My receiver has different presets for every mode. Speaker levels can be set and memorized by the receiver for stereo, Dolby, DTS, etc... After I got Dolby 5.1 set with the Avia DVD, I switched over to listen to a CD is stereo mode. All my speaker levels were set to zero. I then used the CD with the test tones to set the stereo speaker levels. I could of just plugged the numbers in again that I got in 5.1 mode for front L/R and sub but the levels were actually different for 2-channel after testing. I'm guessing it has something to do with the wattage difference in 2-channel vs. 5-channel of my receiver.

I also liked being about to make my on test tones with NCH Tone Generator and burn the wav files to CD that were a lot longer in duration that the ones on the Avia CD.

Ronnie

9. Andrus_R

I'm glad you are enjoying your sealed tempest.[​IMG] I too am pretty sure, my search has ended.
    After all i did thumb thru all the construction photos you had on your website [​IMG] Jealous... hehehe.

Anyway, I really didn't think i need to spend extra $60 on spl meter and avia but after reading your post i think i do... I was hoping I could do it just by walking around and using my ears....

10. Ronnie Ferrell

11. Andrus_R

12. Hank Frankenberg

Hank Frankenberg Cinematographer

Receiver xover at 60MHz and plate amp at 160MHz? Ronnie, you've got some seriously high crossover points - are you attracting many bats? [​IMG]

13. Ronnie Ferrell

14. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

Andrus,

Ronnie's not quite that dorky looking in person! [​IMG]

15. Chris Tsutsui

Chris Tsutsui Screenwriter

There are many different types of treatments you can make, I'd find the one that suits your taste. I've played around with acoustic treatmens such as ASC bass trap clones and 2x4' acoustic panels.

Link

I have a small room that has lots of reflections so I decided to tame them a bit. I think it's fairly simple deciding what treatments to use.

If the room is too reflective - add panels that absorb (in example: fiberglass, foam, polyester, sound board etc). Put the panels on the walls in the "mirrored" reflection areas from the speaker to the listener.

If you don't want the room to sound acoustically dead - add diffusor panels.

If the bass has dips and humps in the response - build helmholtz resonators or bass traps and put them in the high pressure regions such as corners. If you want to easily reduce some peaks in the response you could buy a parametric eq.