Sound through TV and AVR

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by BenF, Oct 2, 2004.

1. BenF

BenF Agent

I apologize in advance because I am sure this is a dumb question that has been answered before, but I am new to this game so please bear with me.

I would like to be able to hear the sound from the TV through the TV speakers and the AVR speakers. I have a Sony TV and right now I have to go through the TVs menu everytime I want to turn the surround sound speakers on and off.

Ideally I'd like the TVs speakers to play at all times and just turn them down or mute them when I want to hear stuff through the main AVR speakers.

If anyone can tell me how to wire up my system so I can accomplish this it would be greatly appreciated. Right now my simple system consists of only a Sony TV and DVD player and Denon receiver.

Thanks in advance.

2. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Ben,

Your post is a little confusing.

For one, since you have a home theater receiver, I don’t know why you would be “turning surround sound speakers on and off” through the TV’s menu.

Also:
    What “stuff” are you referring to? For instance, there’s no reason why the TV speakers would have anything to do with, say, DVD sound, FM radio, etc.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

3. BenF

BenF Agent

Sorry for the confusion. Let me try to be more clear.

Currently I have two options to hear my TV sound:

1) Played normally through the speakers on the TV
    2) Played through the surround sound speakers through the AVR. This requires scrolling through the Sony TV menu and telling it to turn the TV speakers off and on whenever I want to switch between the two.

I would like the TV sound to always play through the TVs speakers. When I want to listen to surround sound, I want to just be able to turn on the AVR, set it to TV, and go.

Basically right now I've got either/or. And I'd like both. [​IMG]

Thanks for any help.

4. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Ben,

If I understand correctly, you’re saying that sometimes you just want to watch TV programming without the system on. But at other times you want to watch TV programming with the full system on, and when you do that you want the TV’s speakers off.

If this is correct, with the equipment you have, you have no other option but to keep changing it with the TV’s menu.

For what you want to do, you’ll have to have something that will act as a tuner for TV programming, that you can plug into the Denon for an audio signal. A stereo VCR is a good way to do that – it will act as a tuner for either basic cable service or for OTA broadcasts via an antenna.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

5. BenF

BenF Agent

"If I understand correctly, you’re saying that sometimes you just want to watch TV programming without the system on. But at other times you want to watch TV programming with the full system on, and when you do that you want the TV’s speakers off."

Wayne,

That is what I am looking for. When I want to watch TV programming with the full system on, I do not mind if the TVs speakers are on - I can just turn them down or mute them. Does this change anything, or would I still need an auxillery device like the VCR you mention?

Thanks.

6. StephenHa

StephenHa Second Unit

basically most new tv's are designed to keep you from being able to turn the volume down, as they have variable outputs, if there is an option for fixed outputs that would do what you want