What's new

Sound test using THX optimizer. (1 Viewer)

Omard.

Stunt Coordinator
I ran the THX optimizer that come in the dvd's (Signs. I seem to have a problem when it cycled through the sound test. The sound worked ok while it cycled through the front but it never reached the back speakers. When i use the sound test on my receiver it worked fine. What could be wrong?

JeremyErwin

Senior HTF Member
Can the program send a tone to your center channel?

Do you have any other DVDs with such sound tests? It might be a defective "THX optimode" test. If you don't, perhaps you know of some DVDs with active surrounds (Saving Private Ryan has a nice intro sequence-- if you don't hear bullets from all sides, something is wrong.)

Are you sure that your dvd player is properly connected to your receiver? (spdif connection, set to something other than PCM) If your receiver has some sort of display function differentiating analog sound, PCM, Dolby Digital and dts, this can be most helpful.

Even if the receiver is correctly processing dts or dolby digital, you might have a DSP overlay (such as "Stereo") that's mixing the discrete multichannel mix into something else.

Omard.

Stunt Coordinator
The center channel worked great. But the Left and Right rear don't get sound. I will try another dvd. I will check the settings in the dvd player. So are you saying that i may have a different surround setting that is overlaping the DD or dts?

SteveCallas

Second Unit
Sounds like you either have an old receiver that only has pro logic, or you aren't connected digitally, so you're still only getting pro logic.

Omard.

Stunt Coordinator
I have an Onkyo 601 receiver. Connected with an optical cable to my Onkyo 301 dvd player.

JeremyErwin

Senior HTF Member
While running the THX speaker test, press the "Display" key, several times and tell us the various messages that appear.

For example (I run a SR502,which, judging from the manual, is sufficiently similar), the display reads

(my hdtv tuner :) )

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks