Sound system under $600 ???

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Nathaniel, Aug 21, 2001.

1. Nathaniel

Nathaniel Auditioning

Hi,
    I've been reading a lot of posts on this forum. Many people looking to buy a new sound system have budgets over $1500. I was wondering if it was possible to get a good quality setup for less.
    I have a DVD player (Pioneer DVD-535) and 32" tv (Loewe Xelos). I have no amplifier and I use the TV speakers when wacthing movies. I was thinking of buying an amplifier, capable of decoding Dolby 5.1 and DTS, and a speaker set. Is it possible to get those things for under $600 and have good quality equipment? Or should I just keep saving until I have more money.
    Thanks

2. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Home Theater in a box is your only bet, or used equipment off an auction with that price point. A decent HTIB can be had for that price however. Otherwise, keep saving.
    Sony has one in every price class, including that one. Also check out Hifi.com. Crutchfield is a good place to look for info and compare specs, but I would look around for better prices.
    ------------------
    All progress is based upon a universal, innate desire on the part of every organism,
    to live beyond it's income.
    ITRCA ** Speedring (sorry, car guy)

3. ThomasL

ThomasL Supporting Actor

Nathaniel, it is quite possible to get a DD/DTS decoding receiver plus a set of 5 speakers and a subwoofer for ~$600. I have a small set up that cost about that. Although this isn't what I bought, you may want to look at the Kenwood HTB-504 I believe which is a home theater in a box and has gotten some decent reviews at www.audioreview.com If you're looking for a cheap receiver, Pioneer sells some (the 709S if you can still find one for around $260 at Costcos is a great price) in the $200-300 range that will do the job and that leaves you with $300-400 for a speaker package. While such a system may not meet many people's standards for pure audio, I can say, in my opinion, that any decent low end system will beat even the best audio system that any stand alone tv has for movie watching.
    hope this helps,
    --tom