Sound System Recommendations

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mikey_K, Aug 12, 2002.

1. Mikey_K

Mikey_K Auditioning

I just purchased a new Tosh 50h81 TheaterWide television and Tosh 4800 pro-scan DVD player, and in the next few months I'll be looking to purchase a sweet little 5.1 surround sound system to connect.

I'm a relative newbie, though. I'm wondering what you might recommend in the way of receivers and speaker systems. I'll probably be shopping in the $800ish price range. Thanks

2. Frank Zimkas

Frank Zimkas Supporting Actor

Take a look at the Polk audio RM series. Great sound considering the size and they'll fit into your budget.

3. BryanZ

BryanZ Screenwriter

Is that $800 for everything or $800 for the receiver, $800 for the speakers, and $800 for the sub? What size room do you have?

4. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

Well I'll throw out a DIY option that should fit the budget. If you can build the enclosures yourself, what can done will be tough to beat for the price.
    First you'd build 5 of these (should be able to build all 5 for under $300):
    http://www.partsexpress.com/projectshowcase/dht/
    For the sub you either get the $100 DLS sub linked to in that article. Or you check PE regularly for when the PE 300-794 amp and Dayton DVC12" are on sale (happens fairly regularly) and also get a 4" flared port kit. On sale you should be able to get all 3 items for less than $200. Then add another $50-75 for building materials and you have a sub that will stomp on any commercial offering at the $300 price point.
    Then buy something like a Denon 1802 for the receiver and you are done.
    If DIY isn't an option, then a Denon 1802 or something similar, the JBL NPS1 and the DLS10" sub would be my recommendation on that budget.

5. Clint Roberts

Clint Roberts Auditioning

Check out www.cheaphometheater.com. I have the 57H81. If only you could increase your budget to $1,600. I tend to think spend more upfront so you are less likely to upgrade. I guess one of those HTIB is better than the Toshiba speakers but a good Denon with Axioms, Diva's, Rockets (or many others), and HSU sub or DIY...all starting around $1,500 (going to $4K+) is a better initial investment. Do it in parts such as get a Denon for $400 and good speakers for $1,100 and then get the sub. With the big pic I think you will be dissappointed with the sound if you do not spend $800 alone on just the 5 speakers. Or look at some used NHT SuperOne's on eBay for about $180 a pair or $450 for 5. Also search around on this and the other forums. This question has been asked numerous times. Just letting you know.

6. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

I also agree with Clint, should have said so in my first post. If you can double that budget it opens up a lot more options. I'll give another DIY one at $1600 and leave it to the others for commercial offerings.

The Audax HomeTheater speaker kit runs about $650 for all the parts. Then add another $250 for a Dayton DVC15" and PE 300-794 amp. A several hundred on construction and finishing materials. Then spend the rest on a higher end receiver than the Denon 1802. This would be a big step up from my first recommendation (worthy of that very nice RPTV and DVD player).

7. Mikey_K

Mikey_K Auditioning

Thanks, all.

Yeah, in speaking with my associates and reviewing your responses here, I think $1200-1600 is a more realistic budget for the kind of HT I'm working toward. Thanks again.