sound system -- hire a pro or DIY?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by tom milton, Nov 29, 2002.

1. tom milton

tom milton Agent

i want to add a surround sound system. i have another post about setting a budget for it. once i set the budget, i need to decide whether or not to hire a pro to pick the components and do the install.

intuitvely, i would think that DIY would provide me more flexibility in component choices, better components for the same price (with careful online shopping), and thus a better final product for the same price.

however, i may not realize all that is involved and the professional expertise may be well worth it.

i sure would appreciate any comments to help me decide!

2. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    I think you will find all the help right here that will allow you to select the best components for your setup, and that will bring you great sonic enjoyment.

3. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

If you find a very good store, it will be quite helpful indeed. Not a "big box chain." Learning all about all this stuff is half the fun, and any good store that you buy from should be able to give you advice and help. And of course there is always this forum, so go for it. The internet is helpful, but there is a lot of outdated, and just plain wrong info out there, so be wary. You can pick up a good hometheater book at a library or bookstore, i forget what it's called, something-or-other guide to home theater. Someone will know the title. You can learn the basics anyway. Having someone design a system for you is probably pretty expensive, not the best bang for your buck, and may not sound the best for YOU, which is a big point. So, a big second for neil's advice. Plus, with all the mess of remotes nowadays, if you dont know whats going on, you won't be able to operate the dang thing [​IMG]

4. tom milton

tom milton Agent

thanks for the input. i guess i need to gather what info i can here, and then talk to the local guys. there are 2 places that do this, and each has a fairly limited choice of components without much mix and match potential.

i'll try to get a book and see what i can learn.

5. Bill Lucas

Bill Lucas Supporting Actor

Tom,

It depends on how much performance you want from the room. A good custom installer will put in a system that integrates into the room, is extremely easy to control and performs correctly acoustically. Yes, the choices are limited but that's what you use a custom installer for; to choose the proper equipment and make it easy to use. It gets expensive in a hurry so if you are on a limited budget you should consider the DIY route. Regards.

6. Andre F

Andre F Screenwriter

I would recommend you do research (lot's of info here and verious HT magazines) and then go to a store and browse. Talk to sales people and listen to many speakers. Then after you do that make a desicion and buy what you like. You will probably get much more satisfaction out of doing it yourself. Another good thing to do is find a store with a generous return policy or trade up plan. I've had a lot of fun over the years picking out my components...