"Sound Suckers" wall fabric

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by John Men, Aug 10, 2003.

1. John Men

John Men Auditioning

I just purchased a house and finally have a nice finished basement with sheetrock walls. I am planning on using a very pluch carpet on the floor and using the "Sound Suckers" brand wall fabric for the walls and the ceiling. Right now I have a klipch 5 speaker system with a M&K 350thx sub. Eventually I will have all M&K speakers and probably an upgrade to seven surrounds and 2 subs. I am using a Pioneer Elite THX reciever. Eventually I will be getting a DLP projector. Right now I am just going to be using a projection T.V. I was hoping for some input regarding the "Sound suckers" wall fabrics. I am really hoping that it enhances the sound. I am aware that the room acoustics is just as, or more important than the equiptment. I appreciate any help that I can get. [​IMG]

2. Josh~H

Josh~H Stunt Coordinator

I don't know anything about "Sound Suckers" wall fabric, but I can make one general comment: unless a fabric is tremendously thick, it cannot do an adequate job of absorbing much sound at anything but high frequencies. To absorb a lot of sound (particularly the lower frequencies), you need a lot of "acoustically porous" mass/volume. However, if you're targeting just the high frequencies, I'm sure the wall fabric will be an improvement over plain drywall.

3. John Men

John Men Auditioning

Josh, Thanks for the reply. When you say "Tremendously Thick", how thick do you mean? And are you talking about a certain type of home theater grade carpet or just any basic carpet? I really want to have a great sounding theater and I want to do the best job I can. I am not a millionaire like most of the owners of the home theaters in the magazines I read. I wish I could call a THX team in to make a state of the art home theater. Unfortunately I am a middle class do it your selfer. I still think with a little effort I can have a nice theater that looks and sounds good.

4. Josh~H

Josh~H Stunt Coordinator

John -

I'm not an expert on acoustics. I'm just saying that a relatively thin material (like most fabrics I'm aware of) is going to have a limited amount of effectiveness. I'm a DIY-er like you, and what I've begun doing in my basement is to build absorption panels out of R13 fiberglass insulation. This type of insulation has nice absorption properties at useful frequencies for HT, and the deeper the insulation, the lower the frequencies that can be absorbed.

For all I know your wall fabric approach will be perfectly suited to your HT. I think for a definitive answer you need to have a trained ear and some software to analyze what your room's acoustics are like. Short of that, putting up materials with any absorption is probably better than plain drywall if done carefully.