Sound skipping w/ DTS and my components- need help

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Ilya, Jul 4, 2003.

1. Ilya

Ilya Auditioning

My audio skips on a regular basis when watching DVDs in DTS. I use a Rotel RSP-976 preamp and Panasonic RP-62 DVD player. I narrowed it down to my front channels and size setting. If set to Large, I get no audio skip in DTS. However, when I set them to small (which is what I want to do), it happens. I found some other threads about an Onkyo that had this problem. Unfortunately, the Rotel has no Re-EQ and minimal options. There is nothing I have found to change that fixes this problem. It seems like a compatibility issue between tyhe player and preamp... as I NEVER had any skips with an old Phillips DVD player and this Rotel.

Is anyone familiar with this player and/or preamp that can help? I checked every setting and this is it. Unless I set my mains to Large, it skips in DTS. It's ashame as this Panny got such great reviews which is why I bought it. For those who have a Rotel 976, which DVD player do you use? I don't mind swapping players (the panny was only $100 or so) to get rid of this problem. I just want to buy a model with excellent video and sound quality (progressive) and none of these DTS issues. I guess I could buy the Rotel player which I assume would work properly with it's own brand, but I'm not ready to drop a grand on a dvd player. I just want a quality budget player like the Panny w/o these DTS problems. I tried a Pioneer Elite model (one of the lower end approx. $400) once and it had so many damn video bugs I returned it the next day.

2. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

If you lower the volume appreciably, does the skipping still occur?

3. Ilya

Ilya Auditioning

Yes, it happens at even very low volumes. Unfortunatelty, I've narrowed it down to the Rotel today. I tried it with two other dvd players (JVC and Sony) and it still happens. Looks like I will be giving Rotel a call to get this fixed. Although this is my second RSP-976, this one is only a 30-60 days old. It must have had the issue from the beginning. The Center was always shrill on DTS and even had a high pitched noise in the background during certain passages. I've been trying anything and everything to get rid of it, thinking it was something else. Now that I received my subs this weekend and set my Mains to Small, the skipping started on DTS. I guess there must be something wrong with the DTS decoding on this unit. I hope I don't have to wait forever to get it fixed.

4. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

What type of connection do you have between the DVD player and the preamp?

People have sometimes used a audio cable instead of a video cable for the coaxial-digital connection from a DVD player. It appears to work, ut there are drop-outs in the sound every few minutes. If you are using a coaxial-digital connection, check the color-code on the wire. You want it to be Yellow for a video cable, and not Red/Black/Blue for an audio cable.

5. Ilya

Ilya Auditioning

I am using an Optical audio cable, not the Coaxial. I checked that as well and it states it's for audio on the side.

I am going to try and take it into the dealer today. Maybe they can hook it up and I can test there w/ a completely different set of components. I want to make sure it's the preamp before sending in for repair. Since it was a store demo, it didn't come with one of those registration cards (or manual for that matter). Hopefully Rotel doesn't screw me over in this regards and honors the warranty since I have receipt and purchased from auth dealer.

6. Mark C.

Mark C. Supporting Actor

Ilya:

If it is the pre/pro, don't worry: Rotel will take care of you demo or not.

7. Brian R

Brian R Stunt Coordinator

Ilya:

Mark is right, Rotel will definately take care of you.

I had the same problem with my RTC-965 I got off eBay several months ago. I had planned on taking it in to the local dealer to have it checked out, but before I did I emailed Rotel. I told them I had just bought it, I even mentioned it was used and I got it off eBay, I explained the problem and asked if this was a known problem or if mine was an exception. Rotel's warranty is nontransferable, so I was expecting to pay for any repairs. Well, to my surprise they emailed me back the the next day with a return authorization number, the address to send it to, and best of all they covered it under the warranty. I shipped it to them and they had it back to me in less than 2 weeks with a new DTS decoder, they also completely checked it out for any other problems and replaced a fuse that was blown for the switched power outlets on the back.

If you want, I can give you the email address of the person I dealt with at Rotel.

Best of Luck,

Brian

8. Ilya

Ilya Auditioning

Thanks a lot guys. My dealer said I could bring it there and they will ship it for me and have it taken care of. I'm delaying as I just got my subs this weekend and am having such a good time with them. I'll probably bring it in next week. Thanks again. Looking forward to getting it back in working order.

9. Wes

Wes Screenwriter

Wes Peterson
    Onkyo had a problem a while back with running Re-EQ and dts at the same time, if the Rotel has Re-EQ you might try switching it off!

Wes