sound screen? for street noise

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by john harshman, May 7, 2003.

1. john harshman

john harshman Stunt Coordinator

anybody have one? white noise machines?
    trying to block out street noise
    i ordered one today need some feedback
    what about a small fountain? does the sound of running water block out sound? if so i'd rather have a cool looking water fountain sitting on a table then have people looking at an ugly white box? where to find a small inside fountain?

2. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm

Any of the home stores, like Linens-N-Things or Bed, Bath and Beyond, would have small fountains. I'd also check the mass merchandisers like Wal-Mart or K-Mart, they usually have one or two models.

Are you in a new situation with this noise? Eventually you'll learn to ignore it. [​IMG]

3. john harshman

john harshman Stunt Coordinator

my neighbor is a car wash and there is a radio that plays from 7:30am to 8:30pm
    i talked to the owner and he has turned it off at an earlier time and turned it down a little but if it is completely quiet in my house i can still hear that blasted radio. highway noise helps block out the radio. lol
    cars trucks and trains dont bother me, i lived practically on top of a railroad track in college

4. Zen Butler

Zen Butler Producer

Zen K. Butler
    Malcolm is right. You will get so used to it. You'll be sleeping through it in no time.

I also live near downtown on a major street. Weatherstripping my windows and a few pieces of soundboard help a bit. I wonder if a machine like you ordered would even come close to drowning out street noise.

5. Eric_L

Eric_L Screenwriter

once in college dorms I got desperate and tuned my radio to static.... cheap white noise.

6. Dan D.

Dan D. Stunt Coordinator

I've used the white noise generator below every night for 11 years and it's been worth every penny. It generates noise with an internal fan, and you can adjust the pitch with the vents located around it. I've tried the electronic models and they're more irritating than anything else, this is the way to go. The electronic sound is just too odd, especially the wave and rain noises.

Interestingly, I first bought it when I lived in rural Pennsylvania and things were too quiet, not loud. It total quietness, any little creak or noise would wake me up. (I'm a very light sleeper) I moved to a busy area on the edge of Boston about 8 years ago, so now I use it to block street noise, which it does exceptionally well.

http://www.hammacher.com/publish/605...omo=hl_bedroom

7. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm
    I've read articles that the noise machines can be just as annoying as the noise you're trying to block out because most are programmed with a repeating pattern of noise. Once your brain picks up on the pattern, it becomes next to impossible to block out the pattern and your brain is continually listening for the next change in the pattern thereby continuing to keep you awake.

8. Chris Tsutsui

Chris Tsutsui Screenwriter

Why, not get some comfy ear muffs. Or you can built a permanent 8ft high masonry sound wall between you and the carwash.

9. Dan D.

Dan D. Stunt Coordinator

10. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

My wife and I have used white noise machines for years. It started when we lived on a main thoroughfare with major traffic noise. Now we take the machine wherever we travel, because you never know what conditions you'll encounter. Once you find a type and level of background noise that's comfortable for you, it works like a charm.

11. David Susilo

David Susilo Screenwriter

getting used to it? not in my case.

I don't like stray noise. When I moved to a condo, I thought I'll get used to that. 6 years later, I'm still not used to it... and I decided to move out, sell the condo and bought an end-unit town home.

At least now it's really quiet most of the time.