What's new

Sound Recorder Program? (1 Viewer)

Wil_J

Stunt Coordinator
Greetings everyone. I am searching for a decent program that will record in coaming audio (from a mic/receiver/amp setup) and record that into an mp3 file.

This will be used mostly to record the sermons that are given on Sundays so they can be archived easier than the analoge tapes we are currently using. Recording to mp3 will also give us the ability to post the mp3 on our web site.

I don't know what programs do this kind of thing though, and I need some help finding what I'm looking for. Thanks for all your help!

SethH

Senior HTF Member
Download Goldwave and the LAME encoder plug-in. I'm not sure if it can directly import to mp3, but you can import as wav or whatever and then convert. I've done the exact job you're wanting to do, but we have a CD burner and the sound guy burns the sermon in real-time and then hands the the CD after the service. I upload it into Goldwave, encode it and upload it to the website.

Christ Reynolds

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ
audacity is another great program to use, no matter what OS you run. you'll need the LAME encoder with whatever program you download.

CJ

Kimmo Jaskari

Screenwriter
You could just skip all the encoding and stuff and record straight to MP3 using a sufficiently advanced MP3 player.

My iRiver H140 can do it, as can the later model H340.

http://www.iriver.com/html/product/p...ct.asp?pidx=42

Of course, recording directly to MP3 is not ideal if you need to edit the sound file before it is "final", but a straight recording to MP3 sounds fine, and the players both have line-ins so just connect those to the line out on the rest of the gear and you're good to go.

Mike LS

Supporting Actor
Audacity is great...especially if you work in a church tech department with the same budget that all the ones I've headed up over the years has been ($0).

You will have to save to .wav first (as with most programs), but you want that in case you ever need to do any editing (I always loved when the pastor would say "We can take that out of the recording, right?" from the pulpit), then you'll save your .wav to whatever format you want for storage.

Personally, I'd either get a DVD burner or a large secondary HD and store a copy of the .wav file seperately (or burn a CD if the sermon isn't too long for a disc). You never know when they might want to take bits and pieces of different sermons and do some kind of project. If you have to convert the MP3 back to WAV and edit, you're going to lose some quality, so keeping an uncompressed copy is always a good idea if you can swing it.

I'll also put in a plug for Adobe Audition. It's not a free program by any means, but if you need something with all the bells and whistles or really intend to do some editing (removing hiss from recordings....a big plus when recording live events etc).
Again, not the cheapest, but one of the best I've used over the years.

Tekara

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Robert
I'll just add my support for Audacity, it's powerful, it's effective and it's free!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks