Sound questions

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by Lynda-Marie, Jul 30, 2005.

1. Lynda-Marie

Lynda-Marie Supporting Actor

Jun 3, 2004
    I was watching Stargate SG-1 and Stargate Atlantis last night, and one of my pet peeves - other than the frequent commercials and all of the stupid bugs/advertising crap going on DURING the show - finally boiled over.

I don't know if I just need to get my hearing checked, or if this is a problem anyone else is noticing lately. Many times during both shows, I noticed that the music would swell at odd times and drown out the dialogue.

Granted, this is not Shakespeare, but come on! The mix is really bad if you can't hear the characters speaking, because you can get lost, or miss a critical point because you cannot hear the dialogue.

It is not just these two particular shows, I have noticed this in other shows in the last couple of years. I love music as much as anyone, but not when it obscures critical dialogue.

So, is it just me, or do TV show producers need to talk to their sound departments about better sound mixes?

Please note that I do not have the wonderful HT systems I keep reading about here on HTF, just a humble TV set.
  2. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

Nov 15, 2004

By no means am I an expert but this sounds like the problem to me.

At least it's not as bad as movies, where you can barely make out what people are saying then an explosion sound effect is so loud that your ears bleed[​IMG]