1. We suffered a brief outage this morning when our host noticed that HTF needed to be moved to a different server due to a hardware failure. That work is now complete. Please post in the feedback area if you have any issues.
    Dismiss Notice

Sound quality of Sony DA5ES vs Marantz SR 6200?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Chris PC, Jul 21, 2002.

1. Chris PC

Chris PC Producer

I am curious about the Sony DA5ES receiver. How does the sound quality compare to the Marantz SR 6200? Does anybody have any experience with the Sony? Has anyone compared the two receivers? Anybody?
    [​IMG]

2. Ferran Mazzanti

Ferran Mazzanti Stunt Coordinator

Are you thinking about upgrading [​IMG] ?

3. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Yes, I've heard the DA3ES. I spent some time setting up one for a friend of mine. Not bad at all, but not as good as Marantz for music, IMO. I don't know how to describe it. It's just not quite as smooth. The bass management is quite nice, but I found the rediculously large number of configurations for everything, not just bass management, to be a bit much. It's a good thing and a bad thing.

Lot's of places should carry the ES line, so I would definitely go listen to one.

4. Chris PC

Chris PC Producer

Well, I'm thinking I'm sick and tired of this frickin crossover of 100hz. It doesn't sound good in my room. I wonder if the DA5ES is not so great sounding with music, perhaps the DA5ES would make a good pre-amp but I don't like the idea of wasting all those amps inside. Too bad you can't order a receiver as a pre-pro, just ask em to leave out the amps [​IMG]
    Would the DA5ES sound good as a pre-pro?

5. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John

6. Chris PC

Chris PC Producer

Man I am having trouble getting this MARANTZ MONKEY off my back. Git off! Git git git! You frickin 2 channel addicted brain cell you! I love music so much even through my main speakers and without my subwoofer, that I am putting up with the Marantz 100 hz crossover. I hate this! Arrgghh! So far I haven't been able to blend the subwoofer good for music. Its sounds ok for movies, but music sounds better with just my mains. I wanted this subwoofer so I could feel my music too [​IMG] Oh well, perhaps I am stuck to wait for the new NAD receivers or something. I really should get off my butt and write a letter to Marantz and NAD about getting adjustable crossovers but I don't think they'd listen to me. I think they just listen to their own marketing and design staff. I already asked NAD about their crossover through email and got nothing. Oh well.