What's new

sound quality of new costello remaster (1 Viewer)

Wilson W

Agent
Had any one done a comparison of the latest batch of costello CDs to the previous versions?

I am considering replacing armed forces and mighty like a rose, can someone comment on these two?

one last question - anyone heard the new imperial bedroom and the ryko gold version, how do they compare?

It is mostly the sound quality that I am concerned of, the extras do not seem too appealing, but if someone think they are very worthy, I would like your opinion as well.

Jimmy Nugent

Stunt Coordinator
Wilson-

The sound quality so far on all the Rhino reissues has been very good. I can't say its better than the Ryko reissues because the songs themselves have subtle differences in the remastering, ie: sound levels for various instruments have been tweaked differently from one label to the next, giving each a decidedly different sound.

I'm very pleased with the Rhino mixes though they did take me by suprise upon first listen. If you have the Ryko versions of Armed Forces and Mighty Like A Rose, I suggest keeping them in addition to getting the new Rhino reissues.

Imperial Bedroom Rhino vs. Ryko AU- same argument. Sound quality is very good on both versions, just subtle variations in the remastering. Again, both are recommended.

The extras- As a completist, there are some tracks on the Rhinos that aren't available on cd anywhere else (as far as I know). If you dig Costello, get the discs because after all, its all about the music!

Jimmy

edited for brain-gas: Mighty Like A Rose was never reissued by Ryko. WB label. Duh... observation still stands.

Wilson W

Agent
thanks jimmy,

interesting to know that the mixes are different, I guess I really need to hold on to the old ones and compare them myself.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks