What's new

Sound quality of a soundbar for home theater? (1 Viewer)

ECRacer

Grip
Real Name
Jared Duncan
Hey guys, this is my first post and I am a newbie to home theater. I have a small house with a living room/dining room that is only 26x12 with the living room being just half(13x12). I only can put the TV in the corner at an angle due to windows and registers. I sit across from the TV approx. 10 ft. away. So I know I don't have a typically good room to setup a full 5.1 or 7.1 system unfortunately. My question to you guys, is how quality sounding are the soundbars or 2.1 systems? I would really love to have a bigger typical room that would suffice a real system but I won"t be moving any time soon. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
I've never heard a soundbar, but some have gotten good reviews I think. All you can do is go with one that has good reviews. Is there any way you can use 2 speakers in front instead of a soundbar?

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
First, welcome to HTF! I use a Polk SurroundBar and subwoofer in my living room, and it sounds good for what it is. While 5.1 capable, I don't get surround sound, just good clear sound that is much better than the TV speakers. The Yamaha units i saw about 3 years back have lots of little speakers that attempt to directionalize the sound. I couldn't mount them on the TV, so I did not consider them. Have fun!

Phil Taylor

Supporting Actor
The Yamaha digital sound projectors do a damn decent job of simulating surround sound. Just installed another one this past week for a client. The YSP systems create beams of sound that reflect off your walls and delay the beams to create a pretty convincing surround field. An optional sub is highly recommended.

ECRacer

Grip
Real Name
Jared Duncan
Thanks for the replies guys, keep them coming! As I said earlier, I am open to either a soundbar or a 2.1 system. I checked out the Yamaha soundbars and was quite suprised by the number of choices you can get, but for the price are they really worth it? How about Sony soundbars? Possibly the Denon 2.1 system? Not really sure what is considered a good value in home theater equipment, only know I would love to have some better sound. Any advice is appreciated.

ECRacer

Grip
Real Name
Jared Duncan
Sorry about that Ebay link. It was pertaining to a Paradigm 2.1 system that I wasn't sure if it was quality.

ECRacer

Grip
Real Name
Jared Duncan
Any suggestions on brands or models of receivers or speakers? Sub size?

JoeCool6972

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Joe Turner
My in-laws have a Vizio soundbar they got from Walmart mounted on the wall above their 32" TV. Sounds amazing, especially for a cheap speaker setup.

sticks1

Grip
Real Name
mark burlison
my brother in law did a sound bar with a sub. After he saw my in walls and listened to them, he ditched the sound bar. the in walls are clean looking and kick some serious butt.

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
I'm going to be the naysayer here. First off, I don't think your room is too small for a 5.1 set-up; either bookshelves or satellites. I have satellites on my main system and bookshelfs in my study (13'x14'); both 5.1 set-ups.

To simplify things I sent with a soundbar for my bedroom, and while the soundbar is an improvement over the TV's speakers, it doesn't come close to even the cheapo speakers I originally got for my study. The only thing the soundbars have going for them is ease of set-up and ease of use. (And ease of use is only true when you use the simulated surround SBs, with no receiver. The better soundbars require a receiver just like standard speakers.)

If you think you want good sound, at the very least go with a 3.1 system with decent speakers; you'll be much more satisfied with the result.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks