Sound proved walls for cheap

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Stan K C, Jul 23, 2003.

1. Stan K C

Stan K C Auditioning

I've heard a saying that using empty egg carton in walls can ceiling is a great way to sound proof the room. Is it true?

2. Terry Montlick

Terry Montlick Stunt Coordinator

Hello Stan,

Egg cartons will have some sound absorption effect in mid to high frequencies. However they will not soundproof a room. Absorption within a room and soundproofing to block sound aren't the same thing.

The folks at The Station nightclub in Rhode Island assumed this as well, and the terrible irony is that the cheap foam they used for "soundproofing" their stage from complaining neighbors was as acoustically ineffective as it was dangerous.

Which of course brings up the other obvious problem with egg cartons. They are flammable. Many states (including Rhode Island!) will not let you legally cover walls, commercial or residential, with materials which have anything less than a class "A" (also called class 1) flame-spread rating.

Please, please do not apply coverings to walls which have anything other than a class "A" rating! Many acoustical foams are legitimately sold which are not class "A" rated, because fire codes in various states do not require it. I think that this is a dangerous mistake.

End of pious lecture. [​IMG]

- Terry

3. David Preston

David Preston Supporting Actor

Terry good advise I would have never known that. This forum is so educating. It keeps people from making major mistakes.

4. JohnN

JohnN Agent

5. Rick_Brown

Rick_Brown Second Unit

Using egg cartons is a big n-no for your health. They can harbour salmonella poison, especially in hot and humid rooms. Do not use!