What's new

sound proofing worth it? (1 Viewer)

Ken Scott

Agent
im going to be building a theater in a room that is not physically apart of my house. would it be worth it sound quality wise to do some type of sound proofing in the room before it gets drywalled?

Steve Adams

Second Unit
yes. put insulation in the walls, use thick roofing felt, get the cork roll, run that up each stud and anywhere your drywall will contact. then slap on the drywall....should sound excellent...

Dave Milne

Supporting Actor
would it be worth it sound quality wise to do some type of sound proofing in the room before it gets drywalled?
What are you trying to do... minimize sound leakage to other parts of the house, minimize the leakage of exterior sounds into the theater, or maximize the sonic quality inside the theater. Completely different objectives that require different solutions...

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Dave is right – soundproofing has nothing to do with the quality of sound inside the room. Let us know which one you’re tying to accomplish and maybe someone will have some answers.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Ken Scott

Agent
well as i said in my post earlier, the room im building the theater in isn't attached to the house itself, its a seperate room all together. im new at this and i dont know much about constructing a room from scratch, so i guess what im basically asking is, would any form of sound proofing increase sound quality what so ever? im not worried about sound leakage, though i dont want the rest of the neighborhood hearing the movie im watching. i hope that clears what im saying up somwhat.

Jonny K

Second Unit
Well, I can't say too much on the topic since I've never built my own home theater. But I can say that in my own house, when I turn on a movie or music downstairs in the basement, the sub is so powerfull that everything in the house is shaking. It can very clearly be heard outside. I remember one day dad was outside using the barbecue and he exclaimed "What, is that thunder?! Oh, it's just his **** sub". :D

Now I certainly don't want to distrub the neighbours, and considering the performance of my sub I really wish I could sound proof that room. But I can't (not without major construction and cost at this point). If I were you, I'd make SURE you do it right the first time, so you won't regret anything later. Insulate it!

Jonny K. :)

scott>sau

Stunt Coordinator
Ken, soundproofing is beneficial in the design phase of the theater. Sound absorption on the display and side walls at a minimum are needed as well. Contact Dennis at www.designcinema.com for some free white papers on this.

Ken Scott

Agent
ok thanks, yeah i'm already having dennis design my room, but i cant do anything till spring, so i'm just trying to learn as much as possible by the time i go to do the plans with dennis so i can be able to have alot of input when he asks me what i want the theater to look and sound like.

thnx.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks