What's new

Sound proofing suggestion needed (1 Viewer)

David_sabreman

Auditioning
I am sooo glad I found this site...thanks to all for the vast sharing of knowledge...I actually feel confident that I can construct a killer HT room....

My situation...when I built my house, I left 1600 sq ft above my garage/bedrooms with just floorboards....my wife and I have decided to finish this are and we really are excited to put a HT in rather than just a boring family room..... our room will be aprox 14.5' wide.....18.5' long from screen wall to the back 4' knee wall....and we are unsure on the ceiling height...suggestions?????8' or 9'????? keep in mind that the back wall will be 45 degrees up to either the 8' or 9'..... there will be 2 doors...one on each side wall.....I plan to use 60" soid core french doors....to get the correct seal...I plan to use exterior doors......

I have been doing reasearch and am very concerned with soundproofing since my daughter's room is right below the HT room...I need to make sure the soundproofing on the floor is bar none....I currently have insulation and standard floorboards...I plan to put a thick carpet down....but am wondering what would be the best method to soundproof the floor.......suggestions? acoustiblok below the carpet pad??? should I consider elevating the floor...ie add another 2x6 or 8???

As for the walls...I plan to do a staggered 6" wall and am leaning towards a single 1/2" drywall on the outside walls of the room.....standard pink insulation woven between the staggered studs....on the inside of the room....a double 5/8" drywall with green glue application..... I have looked at acustikblok as well, but from what I read....green glue with a double drywall would give the same performance as acoustiblok???opinions?????

I thank everyone in advance....I am very excited to move forward with this project....I will say that I am trying to do the room cost effectively...knowing that I still need to pick a projector...and audio equipment, furniture (leaning towards an u-shaped sectional.....we prefer that over the standard HT moview theater seating...personal preference!!!)and I am sure we will need to get some acoustic treatment for the internal walls......

chris_everett

Second Unit
Soundproofing a second floor room from the room below is one of the most difficult things to do. The only way to be even somewhat effective will be to install a floating floor; Auralex has some info on how to do this on their website. (They also have some products to help you do it) You may have to build a complete room within a room to get the isolation that you want (fortuantly, it does look like you are prepared to go to that length) otherwise you will just vibrate wherever you are connected to the room with, and those vibrations will probably be heard downstairs.

At a minimum I would:
Build a floating floor, and build new walls on that, and just loosly attach that struture to the ceiling.
Build walls with double drywall (different thicknessess) and use either Resilient channel or the green soundproofing tape from www.soundproofing.org on the studs.

If budget allowed, I would seperate the layers of drywall with MLV (accoustiblock or similer) and put a ceiling on the built room, seperate from the roof. I would also use a mineral fiber insulation in the walls, rather than pink stuff

Three rules for soundproofing
1. Airtight
2. Mass in the walls
3. Vibration isolation

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
David,

Chris is right, insulating a floor-below is one of the hardest things to do because it’s difficult to physically isolate it from the floor above. The things you mentioned – thick carpet, etc. – will dampen mid-and-upper frequencies, but it’s the bass that transfers right through. Don’t expect the “bar none” results you want with anything less than the floating floor that Chris mentioned.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks