What's new

Sound proofing idea/question (1 Viewer)

Alan Locke

Auditioning
Hello, I'm working on a simple recording booth for recording vocals and voice overs. I'm trying to keep as much sound out of the booth as possible, I plan on weather stripping the door and sealing everything to make it as airtight as possible. But my idea is for mounting the drywall, I've seen the metal isolation channels and the expensive clipping systems, but I came up with my own system. Basically I would use 2 2x4's to mount the drywall. On these I would bore 2 mounting holes and mount it like so:
Framing > rubber washer > 2/4 > rubber washer > metal washer > screw. As this is confusing I drew a picture.

wwwDOTomfggamingDOTus/soundisolation.jpg

(I hate being a noob)

Would this be more effective than the metal channel, or am I just wasteing my time? Also in the wall would it be better to use fiberglass, or somthing more dense like sandbags? Thanks in advance!

Michael Whitney

Stunt Coordinator
If you have the space the best STC rating I have seen is a s follows: Sorry no chart.

Drywall>Drywall>Stud filled w Insulation> Space >Stud Filled with insulation>Drywall>Drywall

This combo supposedly yields an STC of Like 61. Mainly the disconnect with the airspace is the big helper on this setup.

Also, the HDuty door with weatherstripping, sheetrock glued and screwed to help eliminate vibrations, sheetrock edges caulked to elim sound leaks will help.

chris_everett

Second Unit
What I used that was easy and cheap was a foam tape from

http://www.soundproofing.org
It's a green tape that you just put on your studs, and attach the drywall normally. It was easily the best investment I made in soundproofing. If you don't have the space to make two walls, I think this is your best bet. I don't know how sandbags would work in your walls. The weight could be an issue though. Using caulking and weatherstripping to be airtight is important as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks