sound proof

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by rameshkr, Dec 30, 2005.

1. rameshkr

rameshkr Extra

Jul 15, 2005
    where can I get a good sound proof material for the basement?
  2. Gerald LaFrance

Gerald LaFrance Supporting Actor

May 28, 2002
    Gerald LaFrance
    is it a finished basement???[​IMG]
  3. chris_everett

chris_everett Second Unit

Jul 20, 2003
    Soundproof materials are normally incorporated into the construction of the room. While many materials are soundproof, it is the installation of them in a system that makes for a soundproof room. So sorry, but no magic bullets here. To make a soundproof room there are three keys.
    1. Airtight. A perfectly soundproof room with an open door is no longer soundproof. And sound can escape through even a tiny hole

2. Dense wall partitions. Dense wall partitions take more energy to vibrate and are less condusive to transmitting sound

3. Accustical seperation. Double wall construction, resilent channel and the like isolate vibrating room components from the building structure.

A good place for information and materials is
  4. ChrisWhite

ChrisWhite Auditioning

Nov 11, 2005
    Hello... This is my first post. I am not a professional sound proofer but my wife and I are very happy with what I did with soundproofing our basement home theater.

The whole basement including all closets, the ceiling, and the inside and outside walls were insulated with R13 and R19 insulation.

I have numerous closets surrounding the stairwell leading down into the basement. It was mandatory to insulate this area very well because the stairwell acted as a channel for sound to travel to the second floor.

The majority of the home theater's ceiling is simply acoustic ceiling panels from Home Depot. They do not rattle at all when the sound is cranked.

The heating/cooling duct was easier than I thought it would be. First, I wrapped the duct line with heavy self adhesive roofing material. Second, I wrapped the duct line with insulating duct wrap. Third, a frame was built around the duct work and 1/2" sheetrock was screwed to the frame.

I have a 70 watt ARCAM AV receiver (not very big but sounds pristine) and can crank it up to 95db and not disturb the wife.

Hope this helps
    Chris White