Sound Proof Doors

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by EricN, Jul 29, 2001.

1. EricN

EricN Stunt Coordinator

What brands of soundproof doors should I look for and where would I find them? The wall between the HT and the rest of the house is concrete block, except for the hollow core door... [​IMG] If I can find the right replacement, then it's reference level time!
    ------------------
    [email protected]

2. Mark Nelson

Mark Nelson Agent

Eric
    I chose an insulated hollow core steel fire door for my HT. The kind you get to use as a back door to the garage. It comes with a magnetic weather strip seal all around and an adjustable threshold seal plate. No brand name but any good door supplier will know what it is. It works like a charm. My wife can go to bed and I can stay up with the guys and crank the system at THX reference level 'til 4 am without disturbing her sleep.
    Hope this helps
    MTN

3. Jens Raethel

Jens Raethel Second Unit

Jens
    Eric-
    I use a coldstorage room door for my theater.
    It works wery well, its soundproof and it looks great to!
    take a look at my home page!
    jens
    ------------------
    Go see my new theater CINEMAX! updated 2001-07-29
    Then give me your thoughts!!
    http://cine-max.tripod.com/cinemax/

4. andyg

andyg Agent

I used a wooden exterior grade door for the entrance. Stained one side and painted the other. My test was my wife talking on the other side of the door during the construction phase. In the dead silent HT room, I could just barely hear her and she speaking well above normal speaking volumes.
    ---Andy Garabedian

5. Darren Hunt

Darren Hunt Agent

When your looking into what door to get for sound proofing, do not forget about sealing the door when it is closed. You can have a solid lead door which will stop almost all of the sound, but if there is a small air gap around the door, it is all for nothing as the sound will easily get through on the edges. Weather stripping or some other sort of heavy duty stripping to seal off the door is very important. You also might want to think about using a automatic door bottom which attaches to the bottom of the door and drops down when the door is closed to seal off the bottom gap between the door and the floor.
    When I was looking at finding a door for my room, I wanted it to look nice and be functional (the two don't usually go together very well). I required french doors with windows, yet be as sound proof as possible. I ended up having a local company custom make two solid maple doors with some custom glass (4 1/8" glass sheets, laminated together to form two sheets of 1/4" glass for each door). This gave me a pretty good sound barrier, was visually appealing, and emptied my wallet. On top of this, after some web site investigation, I decided to go with a sealing system supplied by Zero International. They make different types of sealing systems depending on your requirements, such as fire proofing, weather proofing, and sound proofing. Their web site is here:
    www.zerointernational.com
    They were pretty expensive, but without it, the door would have been useless with all the surrounding airgaps.
    Darren
    ------------------
    [Edited last by Darren Hunt on August 02, 2001 at 10:46 AM]