Sound Proof Door or Sound Foam?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Scott L, Mar 1, 2002.

1. Scott L

Scott L Producer

The basement theater connects to the upstairs via a run-of-the-mill hollow door in the kitchen. As you can imagine it gets very noisy up there when the theater gets loud. I went to Lowes yesterday and saw a "Safe 'N' Sound" Door from Premdoor which is solid core, but still made out of wood. Cost wasn't overbearing- about $74 with no pre-hung holes drilled ($100 Pre-hung) but I was wondering if it would be better to buy that sound foam that recording studios/TV studios use instead.
    This place sells 4' x 8' sheets for $28 which isn't that cheap. Any place to get them cheaper? And what are other alternatives to soundproofing a door, or just a whole new door period? Thanks..
    Scott

2. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer

You might want to try some weatherstripping around the door to make it airtight. This should reduce noise.... I would say combine that technique with the "Safe N Sound" and you should be all set.

3. Scott L

Scott L Producer

Wow, thanks for the info Dave! I installed some high-density weather stripping around the door panels and what a difference it makes.
    The next thing I need is some type of thick door sweep for the gap at the bottom of the door. I never knew how much I loved shopping at Lowe's and Home Depot. But it is kind of a pain to drive back & forth comparing prices. [​IMG]

4. ace peterson

ace peterson Second Unit

I was able to pick up an insulated steel exterior door pretty cheap at an auction (like $10 or something). I had to cut off the bottom of the door, but it sure does reduce sound outside the theater! My walls are carpeted and I plan on carpeting the inside of the door so it matches the walls.

5. Ray Melnik

Ray Melnik Agent

I had a recording studio one time where I had hung two doors. Each of course opened in opposite directions and I added weatherstrip to both doors. The dead air space in between make a great sound insulator.

6. Mac F

Mac F Agent

I once saw a solution to the crack under the door for soundproofing. It was intended to be used over carpet, where you wouldn't want to use a threshhold. It was a metal frame that installed into a slot routed into the bottom of the door. When the door closed, a button pushed a rubber strip into the carpet. When the door began to open, the strip retracted into the door, so it didn't drag over the carpet and wear out an arc along the carpet. It was made (I think) by Mackelberg=duncan, in either Oklahoma City or Tulsa.

7. Bob Taylor

Bob Taylor Auditioning

I used a solid core wooden door from Home Depot. Weather stripping all around and a rubber gasket threshold. Only the really serious bass escapes.

Bob Taylor

8. Peter Apruzzese

Peter Apruzzese Producer

Peter Apruzzese

9. Ray Melnik

Ray Melnik Agent

Peter,

Dead air space has always made the best sound isolation. That is why recording studios float their walls. They build a room within a room. Did you ever go from standard windows to thermapane. The sound level of the outside is significantly reduced because of the dead air space.

10. Peter Apruzzese

Peter Apruzzese Producer

Peter Apruzzese
    I thought they floated the walls from other surfaces to prevent vibrations from being transmitted through the structure itself? Experiment - take an enclosed dead air space (your two doors, for example) and measure the sound transmitted through it. Then stuff that space with insulation, packed tightly so that it's compressed (but not solid!) and a lot of the air is pushed out of it (not the way you'd insulate for thermal conditions, obviously). I'll bet that the insulated space would measure less sound transmission than the empty air space.

Air is what carries sound waves, no?

The thermapane windows add another glass surface, I think that alone would reduce some of the transmission. Also, aren't they usually filled with some gas other than air?

I'm curious about the subject and this question recently came up on another forum. The consensus there was that air space - in and of itself - is not an effective isolator.

11. Ray Melnik

Ray Melnik Agent

Peter,
    I believe that you are correct about the reason why it works. It is isolating the sound waves (vibration) to the 1st surface. When we had the recording studio with double doors it also had sound absorbing material attached to the door and weatherstrip. It worked very well but it was annoying to open two doors everytime we would walk in.
    These links illustrate your point.
    http://homerecording.about.com/libra...y/aa041498.htm
    http://www.bradfordwells.com/room.html

12. Peter Apruzzese

Peter Apruzzese Producer

Peter Apruzzese
    Ray, thanks for the links! I'm in the beginning phase of my construction and all the information I'm able to gather will make for a better room. Wish I had all the $$$ necessary to do a perfect job, but I think my project will turn out ok with some creative solutions.