What's new

Sound processing questions (1 Viewer)

BenF

Agent
I have a few questions about my Denon 3803's sound processing options.

Currently I only have two front tower speakers. On many DVDs there is the option of DTS 5.1 and Stereo. To my ears, the DTS sounds cleaner with a higher SQ. The stereo seems to sound more full, picking up bass that the DTS mix doesn't seem to have.

Can anyone explain to me what my receiver is doing to the sound when it knows I only have the 2 front speakers? Which mode should I be in to make things sound the best?

I am mainly interested in music and concert DVDs. This, along with a lack of $$, is why I've only got 2 speakers right now.

Thanks in advance for any help and education you could provide me!

ScottCHI

Screenwriter
if you use your receiver to dither a dvd's 5.1 mix down to 2 speakers, it's doing just that: a relatively crude downmix of the 5.1 info into 2 channels.

however, the stereo mix on dvds is SPECIFICALLY mixed for 2 speaker playback. that's probably why the stereo track sounds better. as long as you have 2 speakers, you should use the stereo-specific track whenever there is one available on the dvd.

(i think that's what you're asking about)

BenF

Agent
Scott, that is what I had originally been doing. But then I started listening to some stuff in DTS 5.1, and the sound quality seems to be a good bit better. Sometimes you loose some bass over the stereo mix, but to my ears it sounds cleaner.

Is this just my untrained ears deceiving me or what?

Is it a general rule to not use the receiver to downprocess sound like that?

Thanks!

BenF

Agent
There is a single digital connection b/w the DVD and AVR.

The disk I have been listening to is the Elton John, One Night Only DVD. I have heard that this is an excellent recording. I am comparing 5.1 DTS to (non DTS) Stereo.

Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks