Sound problem

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Gordon, Nov 19, 2003.

1. Gordon

Gordon Auditioning

I am new to this site and to home theater. The information on this site has been very helpful but I have a problem that I hope someone can help with.

I just picked up the Onyko HT-760 (TX-SR501 receiver). I connected it with a digital optical cable to my Panasonic DVD CV52. The sound is great since before my receiver I just had sound from my TV (I'll never go back to that). The problem is about ten times during a DVD in 5.1 surround sound mode I get sound dropout (I think that’s the term) for a split second. I am going to try a new optical cable, the dvd player only has optical out no coaxial.

Do you think there is a compatibility issue between the DVD player and receiver? Does anyone have this setup without this problem? I might get a new player but I want to be sure this problem will be fixed. I do get surround sound out of the DVD it just drops now and then and I think its only when in surround sound mode. It happens on more than on DVD too.

Thanks in advance.
    [​IMG]

2. Tim K

Tim K Second Unit

There is likely either a problem with your player or the cable. Try a different cable first. Then try using another player (borrow one from a friend maybe). See if that solves the problem. I've never heard of such a thing as a "compatibility problem" between a player and receiver (with the exception of trying to pass DTS to a receiver that is not DTS capable).

3. dusty

dusty Agent

Gordon, I have basically the same setup as you. I have the TX-SR501 and a Panasonic DVD-CV290. The DVD player was from a Panny HTIB. I have no dropouts, so its likely a cable issue. Does the problem happen when you receiver is in both Stereo and Surround mode?

4. WesleyHester

WesleyHester Stunt Coordinator

John Hester
    Hopefully, it has nothing to do with the audio drop-out problems that plaqued many Onkyo receivers before with Dolby Digital tracks.

I have an Onkyo 797 that was serviced for audio drop-outs.

Is it all discs? Is it only during Dolby Digital and not DTS or both? DVDs with Dolby Digital EX were the major problem discs with the issue I just mentioned.

Hope a new cable will do it.

P.S. Check all the settings for the receiver and player too.

5. Gordon

Gordon Auditioning

Thanks for all the help.
    It was a bad optical cable. It's now fixed and sounds great.