Sound panels

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Gray, Nov 27, 2003.

1. Gray

Gray Agent

I plan on building my own absorption banels for my theater and I could use some advice. I am going to make some wooden frames with 1/2" by 1" boards. In the the frames will be 1/2" rigid insulation foam boards (the kind used in house framing). Next I want to cover this in chair padding or batting and finish it with a material. I want to stretch the material over the frame and staple it on the back. These panels will surround the lower half of my theater and part of the celling at the mirror points. Will this work? I am confused if this will absorb or diffuse or difflect the sound. Is there any materials that would be better than these? Please send help...

2. Dave Milne

Dave Milne Supporting Actor

3. Kevin Magee

Kevin Magee Agent

I'd use Owens-Corning 703 for the panels. Use the 1 inch thickness. You will not find it at Home Depot or Lowes. Look in the yellow pages under Insulation and you'll find some dealers that will sell it to you. 1 inch wood is really only 3/4 of an inch wide. If you use the 1 inch panels, you'll need to use some slightly wider wood. After you finish the frame glue or nail either thin plywood or peg board to the back and then wrap with fabric. Some prefer pegboard because it increases the effectiveness of the panel. I used 2 inch 703 for my panels and 1/4 inch plywood for the backign that I obtained from Lowes. If you check the spec, you'll find that 2 inchs of 703 is as effective as 4 inch thick R-13 batts. It allows for a smaller panel. Also, since the fiberglass is compressed, the fibers don't fly around. You'll really have to crush it or something to break fibers free.

4. MichaelDDD

MichaelDDD Supporting Actor

Mike
    This is an interesting thread. [​IMG] Have you guys got pics of these panels you've built?

Where in the room did you place them and why? I read up on some company's website; they have an interactive Flash tutorial showing where the "first" and "second" reflections are and where to place the sound absorbing material, etc.

Very interesting stuff. Does it make that big of a difference?

I plan on building a framed and sheetrocked-in HT in the basement of my house...when I buy it early next year. I want to do it right.

5. Terry Montlick

Terry Montlick Stunt Coordinator

Hello Gray,

Kevin and Dave are absolutely right in their recommendations.

As for placement, most people make their absorbers do double duty, both to reduce reverberation (improves the general accuracy and fidelity of your sound), and to reduce first reflections (improves the spacial accuracy of your sound stage). To find the first (early) reflection areas, you can have somebody hold a mirror flat against the walls at different spots. If you can see any of the front speakers from your listening position, then this wall area is a potential reflection spot in need of treatment.

We find from our testing that walls often cause audible early reflections - less frequently, ceilings and floors.

Regards,
    Terry

6. sridhar

sridhar Auditioning

It is normally recommended to have accoustic absorbers below ear-level & accoustic diffusers above ear-level on the room walls.

You may check absorbers/diffusers at the Auralex website.
    www .auralex.com

7. Terry Montlick

Terry Montlick Stunt Coordinator