Sound Out Of Only One Speaker??

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mindain, Dec 4, 2002.

1. Mindain

Mindain Extra

I have Digital cable through Time Warner and channels below 100 only come through on one speaker while channels above 100 come through on all 5. I just changed my set-up in my living room and the sound worked just fine before I moved everything around. Sound came through on all 5 speakers below channels 100. Anyone have any advice? I am using an Onkyo TX-SR600 reciever.

2. Kevin P

Kevin P Screenwriter

How is your cable box connected to your receiver? If it has a digital output, connect it, but also make sure to connect the analog L+R outputs to your receiver as well. On most cable systems the lower-numbered channels are analog, not digital, and won't have a DD bitstream to pass to the receiver.

You probably have an analog audio cable connected for one channel, or you plugged one channel into the wrong jack on the receiver or the cable box. Recheck your connections and try again.

KJP

3. Mindain

Mindain Extra

All my cables are properly hooked up. Both analog and the digital. I believe my roomate did something with the settings on the reciever because it was working before I left to work and when i got home it didnt. I wish I could figure this out... been dinkin around with it for 2 days now.

4. Bryan Acevedo

Bryan Acevedo Second Unit

I had a similiar problem with my RCA DirecTV receiver. I am using the analog outputs, and I was getting only one speaker. It turned out one of the RCA jacks on the back of the DirecTV receiver was going bad. If it wiggled it, I could get sound out of both speakers again. If I wiggled it just right and didn't move it, I could keep the signal for both speakers. But if you sneezed wrong it could move it enough to lose one of the speakers. That is why it may have worked in the morning, but the cable may have moved just enough so that the RCA jack is not making contact anymore.

I would suggest you try reversing the inputs, or trying one at a time, and see if you are getting a signal out of both the L & R RCA jacks on the cable box. I wouldn't be suprised if when you unplugged it and plugged it back in while moving it, it was the final breaking point for the RCA connection. I would also check to make sure your AVR jacks are working ok by trying them one at a time.

By the way, I was at the time using the Radio Shack gold series interconnects, which were so tight that I think they damaged the RCA connector when unplugging them and plugging them in a few times. Are you by chance using those connectors?

Bryan

5. Mindain

Mindain Extra

Thanks for the help. Turns out the inside of one of my rca cables was ruined.

Aaron