"Sound of Music" soundtrack on SACD

Discussion in 'Music' started by Danny Tse, Jun 26, 2003.

1. Danny Tse

Danny Tse Producer

Found this post on audioasylum. Looks like BMG Hong Kong did it again.

2. MatthewA

MatthewA Lead Actor

Matthew
    Unfortunately it's not the complete songs and score. [​IMG]

3. Mike_G

Mike_G Screenwriter

Mike
    True, but I'd like to get it, anyway.

Where do you order something like this?

Mike

4. Emil Stoica

Emil Stoica Second Unit

Mike,

I have seen it on Ebay.

5. Danny Tse

Danny Tse Producer

Here's a link to the article on HFR regarding the SACD to "The Sound of Music".

6. RobertSiegel

RobertSiegel Screenwriter
    Reviewer

Has anyone purchased this? I'd like to know if it is worth it since the last 2 disc cd set was so stunning, was there an improvement in sound?

7. Marvin

Marvin Screenwriter

Marvin

8. RobertSiegel

Reviewer

Marvin, what I am assuming what that remark meant was that the RCA soundtrack of the film didn't have all of the music from the film. The RCA soundtrack was recorded at Webster Hall, which was RCA's "regular place" to record Broadway casts and other albums. When the soundtrack was recorded for album release (it was not from the film's music masters), certain passages were changed. You will notice the opening theme (before Julie sings "The Hills are Alive") is different from the way it plays in the film. If you listen to the version on the 1973 reissue trailer on the 2nd disc of the dvd, they use this version rather than the one in the film, and it even contains the old echo on the RCA recording (strange!) I believe that the version on the RCA soundtrack was to be used in the film and after the soundtrack was recorded, they changed the orchestration for the movie. Also, there's an additional music passage at the start of the song "Maria," In addition, Sixteen going on Seventeen was edited down for a shorter version (much of the dance in the Gazebo isn't on the RCA version).

The 2 disc special edition CD that RCA put out a few years ago, the first disc is this recording, and the 2nd disc contains additional music from the film masters, the same of which was released in the laserdisc box set (there was a 24 Karot Gold CD included with the entire score from the film's music masters).

The 2 disc special edition RCA release of 2 years ago is stunning. Gone is the echo from all previous versions and it sure sounds like it survived much better than the music masters for the film did. I am very curious as to the quality of the SACD.

9. Marvin

Marvin Screenwriter

Marvin
    Thanks Robert. I also have the Broadway soundtrack (with Mary Martin) and that CD has a couple or so songs that weren't in the movie (or the movie soundtrack).

Are you saying that disc 1 of the 2 CD set sounds better than the 1 disc version (the previous movie soundtrack CD) or is the improved sound only in the added (2nd) disc?

10. RobertSiegel

Reviewer

Marvin, I too have the broadway cast, it's got some good qualities. Yes, the disc 1 of the 2 cd set sounds much better than the single disc version. They completely remastered the album and took out all of the hiss and echo, I believe it's the best available stereo recording, much better than the single cd and leaps over the dvd. Plus you get the 2nd disc with the waltzes at the party and much more not on the 1 disc set. Definately worth the purchase. Let me know if you like it if you buy it. (I am talking about the 30th anniversary single disc on RCA, and the 35th anniversary 2 disc set from RCA, not the SACD).

As for disc 2, it has music from the movie, as I stated, which was never released on the RCA soundtrack. Disc 2 doesn't sound as good because I think the movie masters have gotten bad over time. But disc 1, WOW, nothing like the 1 disc CD version.

11. Marvin

Marvin Screenwriter

Marvin
    Thanks again. I'm not at home now so I can't check it but I think I have the *1990* version of the CD (not labeled as 25th or any other anniversary). I assume this sounds no better than the 1995 version, though I'm not sure what the difference is between these two.

I see in 2000 they released 2 35th anniversary versions, a 1 disc and a 2 disc version. I would assume THIS 1 disc version is identical to disc 1 of the 2 disc version.

So that would make the SACD the 5th version, if I'm correct. The only place I see it listed is Amusicdirect for 39.99. (correction: someone on eBay is selling it for 29.99, with 7.00 shipping). At that price, I might opt for one of the 2000 versions instead.

12. GlennH

GlennH Cinematographer

Glenn
    I may be interested in picking up the 2-disc version, but the online retailer listings are confusing. For instance, Amazon shows this with a year 2000 release date (35th anniversary), but list it as a single disc. However, the customer reviews posted below it do refer to a second disc:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...l/-/B00004WFNP

So is the Amazon description just wrong? I'd hate to purchase it and find it is a single-disc version instead.

I also wonder if this listing at yourmusic.com (the BMG-run subscription club, see the other thread) is the 2-disc one:

http://www.yourmusic.com/browse/album/36017.html

If so, that $5.99 price is certainly nice.

13. Marvin

Marvin Screenwriter

Marvin
    Glenn,
    That's what I was referring to in my post about there being TWO 35th Anniversary versions. This is the 2 disc set:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...=22ADIWBVR2NRU

Amazon has an annoying habit of mixing reviews for different versions on the same page (e.g. a DVD will contain a review of the VHS version of the movie; arrgh!)

I don't know, but I would guess Allmusic is selling a 1 disc version, and maybe not even the 35th anniversary one at that.

14. GlennH

GlennH Cinematographer

Glenn
    Thanks Marvin. Try as I might I couldn't find that product on Amazon with a search of "Sound of Music." I don't know what I was doing wrong. Not liking the $30 price tag.

So, since this is the 40th anniversary year, is it likely that another new soundtrack version will be issued this year, perhaps in conjunction with the new DVD version rumored to be coming later this year? Maybe a deluxe set that contains both will be available. This is certainly the movie where such an option would make sense.

15. Tom Brennan

Tom Brennan Screenwriter

If this disc is from a 16 bit master, then being on SA-CD will offer no improvement. The best would be to go back to the original tracks or, failing that, the 2 channel album master and re-master that in DSD. That would be worthwhile. But simply putting a 16 bit digital recording on SA-CD will sound no better than a red book CD.

16. Danny Tse

Danny Tse Producer

I've seen the SACD of "The Sound of Music" on ebay offered for about $20.00, which is in line with what these discs generally sells for in Hong Kong. Someone is making a ton of money when the SACD gets sold for $40.00.

17. Marvin

Marvin Screenwriter

Marvin

18. MatthewA

MatthewA Lead Actor

Matthew
    Of course, if you had the 1994 laserdisc, you got an extended soundtrack with even more music that has not been released anywhere else to this date.

19. Danny Tse

Danny Tse Producer

I just picked up the SACD to "The Sound of Music" from the post office. I got it brand new off of ebay for $17.00. The SACD was made by Sonopress in the "EU". Everything else is as described in the highfidelityreview.com linked above. I will update once I give the disc a listen.

20. Luis Esp

Luis Esp Supporting Actor

Most of the selections that were included in 2 disc version were taken from the laserdisc box set special edition cd that was printed in 24k gold.