What's new

Sound of Music Live on NBC 12/5 (1 Viewer)

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
My over-simplified evaluation:

Watch NBC's live production if you want to root for the baroness.

JMas

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John Mason
I watched both the Andrews movie and the NBC production this year. I found the NBC version much fresher and more enjoyable. I admit Carrie Underwood's acting left a lot to be desired, but I thought her singing, dancing, and energy, especially in the scenes with the children, were very commendable. I also thought the sets were incredible for a TV production. I thought the camera work was quite good for a live production, but there were too many audio problems for a production of this caliber.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
I love Eleanor Parker! But she didn't get to sing one note in the movie. I missed those songs.
Ms. Parker was always a pleasure to watch.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
bujaki said:
I love Eleanor Parker! But she didn't get to sing one note in the movie. I missed those songs.Ms. Parker was always a pleasure to watch.
As fun as those songs are, I think it was the right move for the movie. Part of what sells Maria and the captain as a couple in the movie is that they're musical while the Baroness is not.They're also some of the most overtly musical songs in the stage verison; while Maria is at the Von Trapp residence, "Sixteen Going on Seventeen" is the only number that requires acceptance of musical conventions. With all of the other songs, the characters singing them are actually recognized by the other characters as singing. It's one of the things that separates the Abbey, where the singing is not acknowledged, from the Von Trapp household, where it is.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
The only thing I truly missed was the nuns behind the iron gate during the wedding scene as was done in the movie.

One of my favorite emotional moments ever put on film.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
But Adam, those cut songs in the movie were the only songs that had some of the bite that would have made the film less saccharine, and that had the social comment that R&H musicals always had. "Be wise, compromise," just before the Anschluss is quite a strong song, and shows the strength of the Captain's integrity.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I get the complaints about the movie being too saccharine, but that's never been a problem for me. I don't need "The Sound of Music" to have bite. That's not to say the stage version got it wrong. But I agreed with many of the adaptation choices made by the film. I'm glad we have both to enjoy.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
NBC's Next Live Musical Will be Peter Pan in DecemberShould be good, and I'm sure I'll enjoy it, but I wish they'd picked a musical that hadn't already had a live telecast. I have fond memories growing up of watching a crappy VHS recording of the 1960 telecast with Mary Martin as Pan and Cyril Ritchard as Captain Hook.I wonder if they'll go with the recent trend of casting an actual adolescent boy in the role or return to the convention of having a female singer play the title role.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
It's a disappointing decision for me. I'm sure I'll watch, but I was hoping for something we hadn't seen done in a made-for-television format before.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
It's a smart choice. Look no one complains when people stage Romeo and Juliet, though it gets produced yearly. I'll worry more about casting and a good production

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Looks like NBC will be doing it again. This time with a live production of "Peter Pan". Just saw a quick news blip, current plan looks like December 4th, no list of who the cast will be.

Greg.K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg K.
Only in the UK.

"The Shows Must Go On released this statement May 22, "Unfortunately due to rights restrictions on this show, The Sound of Music Live! will not be available in the US, Latin America, and Asia this weekend. We have seen how many of you were excited for the show, and so we are very sorry to disappoint you. We are hoping to show The Sound of Music Live! in the future for those in the US, Latin America, and Asia.""

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks