What's new

Sound of Music 40th, Oklahoma 50th, State Fair 60th and Two for the Road in November (1 Viewer)

RobertSiegel

Reviewer
Anyone hear of any dates for the next Rodgers and Hammerstein? I would think an announcement would be coming soon.

[rant]I SUPPORT BLU RAY... but with only Component inputs and down-rezing, I sure won't see High Def...thanks Hollywood[/rant]

Greg_M

Screenwriter
I went to the "South Pacific" screening in LA tonight and I can easily say this was the best I've ever seen it look. The colors popped off the screen and except for the "Bali Hi" song the color filters weren't to distracting and added a nice touch to the mood of the film.
This wasn't the full Roadshow version but the panel said there is 15 more minutes of film (I thought it was long enough in the short version) which will appear on the DVD. Looking forward to picking this one up. They did a nice job restoring the film.

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
How exciting. I hope that print comes to the AFI theater in Silver Spring MD. And I hope it gets used for a Blu-ray disc...

:D

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Are they ever going to make a print of the long version, or will that be exclusive to the upcoming DVD?

RobertSiegel

Reviewer
I see the UK region 2 special editions of South Pacific, King and I and Carousel came out today, March 20. Has anyone ordered them or seen them?

Joe Caps

Senior HTF Member
I have ordered them. They are now in customs and should be here in a few days.
Two contrasting bits of info on South Pacific info.
Boht long and short versions of the film are on the new dvd. ONe source said eiach one is on a separate dvd. Anopther says it is done by seemless branching. Will give a full report when I get these.

JPCinema

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken Koc
I Just got the discs. There are 2 discs with two seperate versions on each disc. Disc 1 (Theatrical Version) is in 5.1 and the Disc 2 (Roadshow Version) is in 2.0.

JPCinema

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken Koc
There are 2 extra songs on 2nd Carousel disc. (You're a Queer One Julie Hordan and Blow High Blow Low). There are only photo stills with the songs.

RobertSiegel

Reviewer
I had originally read April release here in the USA, but Jocaps posted later in the year, since there is no announcement, looks like it will be later in the year. I wonder why they waited for the release here? Perhaps we will also get a blu-ray release at the same time? R&H movies in HD? orgasmic!

Doug Bull

Advanced Member
Real Name
Doug Bull
They are due out here in a few weeks time on R4 (Australia)

I usually avoid PAL Musicals because of speedup, but I would be keen to hear how they look and sound from Joe and Ken.

JPCinema

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken Koc
The Roadshow version's sequences that are not in the "release version" are mostly in a faded sepia which is described before the film begins. It still really cool to see these scenes again after so many years. The rest of the film looks better than I have ever seen it. I still wish Logan had not used the filters.
The Pal speedup still is very problematical for me, especially with a musical.

Joe Caps

Senior HTF Member
Ken - one question. there isone section Fox was not sure it could find.
Qhen Joe Cable leaves for Bali Hai the first time, the chorus sings the song. IN the long version you hear him on the soundtrack and the chorus answers him. Which one is on the roadshow print?

RobertSiegel

Reviewer
Can anyone tell me what PAL speedup is? I was considering ordering these but will wait if there's a problem. Would they work on a computer perfectly, or is sppedup something that open region players do?

How is the quality of King and I? I assume it was the same transfer as the one on HDnet, which was absolutely stunning.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew

Is there any color left in them at all, or is it totally sepia like the Kansas scenes in the Wizard of Oz?

JPCinema

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken Koc
Very little color....mostly pink, very faded. Once again, it is only the sequences that were cut from the Roadshow that are like that.
PAL speeds up the film which , for me is bothersome. It causes movements to go faster and the voices are at different pitch. Mitzi Gaynor voice does not have the same resonance or timbre as her real voice.
Joe, It is the chorus only when Cable goes to Bali Hai for the first time.
Robert, "King and I" looks stunning. The problem for me with HDNET is that they pan and scan to 16X9 all 2.35, 2.55 films. HBO does the same thing...only Showtime does not.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks