What's new

Sound Of Music 2010 ??????? (1 Viewer)

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen

Originally Posted by Brian Sharp

The laserdisc box set was from 70mm. As I understand it, releases from the Todd-AO 70mm will have the Todd-AO credit in the title sequence. 35mm releases do not have this credit.

From what I remember is that Fox not only used the 70mm (Todd-AO) for the laser box of The Sound Of Music, but also used the large format materials for a laser release of South Pacific and Oklahoma. I still have the laser Oklahoma (Todd-AO) since the DVD version was so horrible.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW

Originally Posted by RobertSiegel

I don't consider a 45th anniversary CD, a repro of the original souvenir book and a hardback scrapbook of over 100 pages to be junk, and I bet most other big fans of the movie would agree these are not just thrown together extras. These are items any fan of this movie would like to own! I bet that scrapbook is full of rarities from the Fox vault!

Robert, et al,

I actually called it "big box-o-junk release" as a term of endearment of sorts -- borrowing the term coined for other releases that I'd definitely agree to be more accurate. Yeah, looking back at my posts, my usage there probably wasn't clear at all, but if I seriously considered it junk, I wouldn't be consider it at all w/ knowledge that the disc-only set will be coming out soon enough.

Anyway, as I alluded in a subsequent post, I still might be tempted enough to get that big box release even if the disc-only set comes out around the same time. I actually (still) own the old LD box set -- that I bought slightly used back during the last couple years of that format -- as I mentioned much earlier, so yes, this would be one of few rare cases I'd serious consider splurging.

_Man_

warnerbro

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Darrell
Yeah, do y'all remember watching the opening credits on some of the earlier releases on VHS and laserdisc when the bell ringing would jump because they removed the Tood-AO credit?

Warner...yep, and the first tape ended before the Intermission. The Intermission was cut, as was the master shot at the start of part two with the vehicles arriving at the Von Trapp house for the party! It started with the band playing.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Originally Posted by Eric Scott Richard

Warner...yep, and the first tape ended before the Intermission. The Intermission was cut, as was the master shot at the start of part two with the vehicles arriving at the Von Trapp house for the party! It started with the band playing.

I used to have that version. IIRC it was the 1986 CBS/Fox release. But I always thought the carriages outside the villa came after the first shot of the orchestra. I do remember the omission of the intermission title and the ent'racte, which was not restored until the 1990 25th anniversary VHS (the beginning of a string of different Rodgers & Hammerstein collections that has apparently been broken with Blu-Ray).

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
Originally Posted by warnerbro

Wasn't Todd-AO supposed to be super sharp high definition on 70mm? Have they been using the 35mm print for the releases so far?

For more information on Todd-AO, go to http://widescreenmuseum.com/widescreen/wingto1.htm

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben

YAHOOOOOO!!! Bring it on! Counting down now, less than 3 weeks away!
Thanks so much for that clip! I'm getting really excited now about this one! I have a feeling that maybe they haven't gone back to the 70mm for a home video release before....?

Anyone else seeing this is the theaters next week! We are.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew

YAHOOOOOO!!! Bring it on! Counting down now, less than 3 weeks away!

Tom Petty was right: the waiting is the hardest part.

It looks like after 30 years of less than 100% greatness on Beta, VHS, laserdisc, and DVD (not to mention the TV broadcasts), they may finally do this film justice on home video. Even the clarity of the material in the compressed Facebook video impresses me and has me more excited. I may even go to the Fathom screening.

I wonder what condition the original negative was in. When Video Magazine discussed the 30th anniversary LD box, they said the negative was in decent shape. I imagine the negative saw at least as much action as that of My Fair Lady, and we all know what that movie's been through.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Originally Posted by Mike Frezon

Now I hear Sony Legacy is doing a 45th anniversary CD reissue. It's the original soundtrack album all over again with a bonus track: Lea Michele singing "My Favorite Things." That doesn't exactly fill me with glee (no pun intended). I imagine this is what they'll put in the box set instead of the completely complete soundtrack the film needs and deserves. Maybe for the 50th anniversary…

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Robert:

Thanks for posting that clip.

That does sound VERY exciting. After the tragedy that was the Todd-AO version of Oklahoma (in its last DVD release), it is really exciting to hear those restorationists in their excitement over the effort they put into making the film look its best in high-def!

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Originally Posted by Mike Frezon

Robert:

Thanks for posting that clip.

That does sound VERY exciting. After the tragedy that was the Todd-AO version of Oklahoma (in its last DVD release), it is really exciting to hear those restorationists in their excitement over the effort they put into making the film look its best in high-def!

I would love to have both versions of Oklahoma! in HD looking much better than OK, up to the standards of the other R&H film restorations.

warnerbro

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Darrell
Watching the Facebook documentary on the HD restoration looks better than anything I've seen outside the theatres on THE SOUND OF MUSIC. I saw this film in theatres many times and the image was so sharp that you could see every eyelash and wrinkle in faces. I know some scenes had a diffusion filter, but most were very sharp. And I also remember the color being kind of subdued. I also definitely remember Julie Andrews audibly murmuring after getting a drink at the water fountain as she walks away from the nuns at the end of the MARIA number.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Wow! That Facebook post does look awesome! Only thing though is I'm wondering if the color is a bit too green biased. Is this maybe a trait of the film stock used? I have no idea, but the green bias seems to appear in a few other old titles as well -- African Queen comes to mind at the moment. OR is it just due to all the greenery in many of the scenes (as could be the case for African Queen) -- though I kinda doubt there was enough of that in SoM to bias the light that much?

_Man_

doug zdanivsky

Supporting Actor
Real Name
doug zdanivsky
I bought this and watched it yesterday.. Is there a review of it out yet? There was a mildy annoying greenish tint throughout that appeared for a few seconds, then went back to "normal".. Anyone else notice this?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks