What's new

Sound of HTS on TV? (1 Viewer)

Jens

Auditioning
Hi everyone

I bought myself a Home Theater system some weeks ago. Now, I'm wondering if it's possible to watch TV and hearing the sounds all around you without having to watch a DVD.I hope you understand what I mean. Like using the home theater system as the sounds system instead of the normal TV sound system.

Thanks

Jens

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
If your tv or cable box has an audio output, you can run it to your receiver, and listen to pro logic (simulated surround). It will sound good. Just not as good as 5.1.
If you have digital cable or satellite receiver with Dolby Digital, you should be able to listen in 5.1 surround with no problem (programs and channels must be broadcasting DD signal.......not all do).
I have a sat receiver with DD, and MOST of my tv watching is with pro logic. Enjoy.........

Mark Murphy

Supporting Actor
I have never used the built in speakers in my TV. I have direct tv and run the stereo rca outs (red & white) from the satellite reciever to my stereo reciever. I think 95% of all regular television broadcasts are two channel anyway, so I set my reciever to Pro Logic II (cuz thats the only choice I have, no digital output for me).

AaronJB

Second Unit
Some 2.0 TV stuff sounds halfway decent. "Seinfeld" in Pro Logic II seems to take the laugh track and send it to the rear speakers, while keeping the dialogue up front.

Jens

Auditioning
Thanks for all your replies.But what exactly is the receiver? I only have my DVD player and my TV. The boxes are connected to the DVD player.

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
With just dvd and tv, you're not gonna get anykind of surround sound. Not even pro logic. Some newer tvs have a feature called virtual surround, that kinda plays tricks on your ears and makes you think you're hearing a surround of sorts.

The receiver we spoke of, is the Home Theater receiver. Like the old stereo receivers, only with more channels and features. You said you bought a Home Theater system.............? Now saying you only have dvd and tv? Is dvd built in with receiver? What boxes are connected to dvd? You have confused me...........

Jason GT

Second Unit
Jens,

It might be useful if you named the brand and model of your equipment (both your TV and your system). it is often helpful when asking about connections and compatibilities.

Ed - I believe that Jens has a HTiB (Home theater in a box) with an integrated DVD player/receiver.

Jens

Auditioning
Yes I have an integrated DVD player/receiver. The brand is LG and the model is DA-3630 (Device: DA-3630AD, Speakers: FE-3620TE, FE-3620WE).

My TV is a Sony, but I can't remember the model name.it has 3 scart connections and 2 are used (dvd and vcr). That's actually all it has in the back (with the cable connection thing).

John S

Senior HTF Member
If you do not have a stereo analog out from your TV, the best way to do it is to go get a cheapie Stereo Hi-fi VCR, and use it for your tuner. It will have stereo out analog RCA jacks.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks